Different yeast with clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanHaley

Reaction score
Ok So im still very new and learning alot from these boards).
I ordered a 90 minute DFH kit from Austin.
I was talking to friend who has done a few brews. He suggested
trying a diffent yeast strain to give it a different flavor(Wyeast 1388)
What do you guys think?

Thanks
Sean

What do I think? I think that you will have a beer that tastes slightly different than the recipe intended.

Why bother? Do you dislike DFH 90 min? If yes, go for it. If no, who cares? Anyone can add a random yeast to a recipe and come out with something different than was intended. Does it make it a good idea? Maybe, maybe not.

Im not one to leave well enough alone. I always want to do things just alittle different and not follow the leader. Besides I can drive right down to the brewery and buy as many cases as I want(only a few miles away).
The kit was ordered for me as a gift.
Really what I was asking for was, a taste/flavor profile.
Ah the heck with it. Ill just try it.

Im not one to leave well enough alone. I always want to do things just alittle different and not follow the leader. Besides I can drive right down to the brewery and buy as many cases as I want(only a few miles away).
The kit was ordered for me as a gift.
Really what I was asking for was, a taste/flavor profile.
Ah the heck with it. Ill just try it.

Thinking that this clone kit is going to taste exactly like DFH 90 is a little naive. So why would you change something when you really don't know how it'll turn out as is?

My friend that homebrews on occasion, has brewed it before. I have tried his and it is very good. But we agreed it needs something just alittle different. Maybe more of a ester profile. As I stated im sill very green but listening to his knowledge as well as all the info on this board, im learning fast.
So Im trying to get a general consensus from others who may have brewed this before or something simular, for their input.
I like how changing just one thing can have a completely different outcome and encourge all input.
I have spent the last week looking though old post and searching the internet for info.
We all share a interest in our hobby. If I have overstepped by bounds by asking a question, I appologize.
I try to gather as much info before I proceed.

Sean

My friend that homebrews on occasion, has brewed it before. I have tried his and it is very good. But we agreed it needs something just alittle different. Maybe more of a ester profile. As I stated im sill very green but listening to his knowledge as well as all the info on this board, im learning fast.

If you had stated this in your first post, I'm sure you would've gotten more relevant responses.

So Im trying to get a general consensus from others who may have brewed this before or something simular, for their input.
I like how changing just one thing can have a completely different outcome and encourge all input.
I have spent the last week looking though old post and searching the internet for info.
We all share a interest in our hobby. If I have overstepped by bounds by asking a question, I appologize.
I try to gather as much info before I proceed.

Sean

I hear ya, mate - your goal is a good one, FWIW - Changing it up is what its about. So you are green and cautious - that describes 90 % of folks on here, and would be me only 12 months ago. And heck, ask MORE questions - its how you learn.

Just get used to the fact that when you post a thread, and ask a question, people may have an answer than what is different than the one you WANT to hear. This should be a proverb, if I say so myself. Not that I always heed it :)

Back