Washed yeast and Malta Goya

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I have some yeast that I washed(Safale US-05) from a 1.073 Amber ale. I was considering using it in the Shiver Me Bitters recipe that I'm doing this weekend. If I was to make a starter using Malta Goya, what's the best way to go about this. I'm guessing I need to bring the yeast back to room temp, boil 12 oz M.G. with 12 oz h20, cool, and pitch. All this about 48 hours before pitching into the ESB. Anyone see anything wrong with this.(including using US-05 instead of 04 in this recipe)?

WooHooo!!!, 250 posts.

The OG of goya malta, according to my hydrometer, is 1.060. I usually dilute it 2:1 with water and boil it while stirring vigorously to get rid of the CO2. In the future I might just leave it open in the fridge to off gas, it might work better to remove the CO2.

The OG of goya malta, according to my hydrometer, is 1.060. I usually dilute it 2:1 with water and boil it while stirring vigorously to get rid of the CO2. In the future I might just leave it open in the fridge to off gas, it might work better to remove the CO2.

I think you do it right the way you do it. Kill two birds (plus any potential bacteria) with one stone so to speak.

Besides, you really want to aerate the heck out of starter wort. keep shaking it after the boil and offgas too to maximize O2.

The only problem with MG is that it is soooooo dark. Make sure you have time to build up the starter and to cool it so you can pour off the extra liquid and only pitch the yeast, or it will have a big effect in the color of your beer

Worked pretty well. I started it 48 hours before pitching, let it ferment out, poured off the liquid, quick shake(of the container), and pitch. Great activity in the fermentor. So far so good.

Back