Possible mold on beer... dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueAg

Reaction score
Finished up a partial mash a couple weeks ago..... it fermented nicely and everything was proceeding according to plan. Transferred to a secondary (possibly my mistake)... and it's still generating a little bit of CO2.... but.... it appears it might have some mold growing on top.

Dump or not dump? Help!

Sorry for lack of pics......

Welcome to homebrewtalk. You definitely should not be dumping your beer. Its quite likely that its just little clumps of CO2 bubbles. If it actually is mold, just rack out from under the mold when you go to bottle and stop before you suck up the top of your beer.

Pics would help though.

Read the discussion we're having on this thread for information.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fail-ale-131901/

And honestly without pics we can't really help you....what some new brewers thinks is mold, often isn't anything more than hops on yeast rafts. So unless we see it, it would be conjecture.

But take a look at the info on that posted thread talking about mold and infections and what to do if it indeed is mold.

:mug:

Thanks for the quick responses.... My beer looks similar the the pics in the linked thread, but I'm pretty sure it's mold.... I'll take and post a pic tonight for y'all to look over to help with a better diagnosis.

Either way, I feel better if knowing I might be able to salvage by racking out from underneath it.

Well here's a pic... best I could do in the lighting and with a not-so-great camera...

Upon further inspection, it does resemble the stuff in the pics in the Fail ale thread... And when you look really closely, it looks like clumps of tiny bubbles..... No fuzzies..... nothing dangling down into the beer..... just groups of tiny bubbles.....

IMG_4787.jpg

Well, I'm not sure.... but after further inspection, the lack of any fuzzies or discoloration (mainly green) was encouraging. All white... can't see any solids.... just looks like bubbles.

I'll let it continue to lager for awhile and monitor. All replies are greatly appreciated.

it is in the second fermenter looks like the above pics. There are some brownish beige formations near the surface too, but they are the same color as the krauzen when it was in the first fermenter. Yes, I am new and I got the newbie jitters, trying to relax, but no homebrew to be had yet.:confused: thanks!
75349_464430334175_507789175_5330413_4532728_n.jpg

75163_464430389175_507789175_5330414_1533580_n.jpg

149252_464430624175_507789175_5330417_1762138_n.jpg

76486_464431174175_507789175_5330418_7133165_n.jpg

74828_464430294175_507789175_5330412_6767578_n.jpg

Welcome to HBT!

Your yeast floaties look perfectly normal to me. These develop quite often when you rack to secondary. Relax, your beer will be fine. Stick around and learn how to make your beer even better. :)

thanks. this is a cool site! I guess I'll relax and drink a mass produced beer and add another bottle to my collection.

155732_464473179175_507789175_5330745_5739604_n.jpg

that little spot is my main worry.

I agree with everybody here on keeping your beer as this is not mold. I have this after keeping my beer in my fermenter for 3-4 weeks and my beer has been turning out great. Relax and have a pry-off top beer.

I would've said it was mold but you are to far away for me to come pick it up and dispose of it properly. I guess you'll just have to dispose of it yourself. I suggest running it through your liver to turn it into pee.:mug:

i'm laughing my @#$ off at that "fail ale" thread. maybe you should break a hydrometer in your fermenter to ensure you have an infection.

This post has brought me a lot of relief. I'm new to brewing and I thought my second batch might have a problem, but looks much like the pics in this thread. I didn't have any problems with my first batch so was getting jumpy. I'm sure everything will be fine when I bottle next Sunday.

definitely looks normal to me!

All the bad fuzzies I've ever seen (outside of brewing admittedly) are much more distinctly....bad, lol.

This post has brought me a lot of relief. I'm new to brewing and I thought my second batch might have a problem, but looks much like the pics in this thread. I didn't have any problems with my first batch so was getting jumpy. I'm sure everything will be fine when I bottle next Sunday.

Welcome to HBT!

It is really pretty hard to mess up beer. You could easily make hundreds of batches and never have a problem assuming you are using good brew techniques.

I don't see anyone mentioning that he has too much head space in his secondary. If you are going to secondary make sure you have enough to fill it up or just leave it in the primary with the protective blanket of co2 it has generated.

the OP secondary headspace looks fine. the other guy, ENS? does look like waaaaay to much headspace for a secondary. Rogues looks ok to me though.

the OP secondary headspace looks fine. the other guy, ENS? does look like waaaaay to much headspace for a secondary. Rogues looks ok to me though.

Well, that barely looks like it is up on the curve to me. I don't consider mine full until it just barely doesn't overflow when I stick the auto siphon in. Too much oxygen exposure for me.

I had added some cranberry extract when I put that beer in the secondary and the airlock was bubbling a little, so I think I got a CO2 blanket. Anyway, that beer is all but one growler left. It was my second brew and not my favorite, but not bad. It was BB witbier and I am over BB. I am not going to use that carboy as a secondary ever again though.

you may very well be right, Ill be honest in not knowing how much is too much exposure in terms of head space. Obviously limit it as much as possible, but seeing as its already in there for him, I don't know how much he can do at this point.

I tried posting this question on another thread but the photos didn't come thru, so please excuse me for cross posting, but is this mold?

20110826165855238.jpg

20110826165902125.jpg

and if so can we just rack the beer underneath or is the whole lot ruined?

Thanks for the thread - very informative! So, if I'm reading all this correctly, so long as we rack the beer underneath the surface, the beer wont be spoiled, but it should have a distinctive "sour" taste? If so, how do you think this will play out in a stout w/ chocolate, vanilla & cinnamon flavors? While Brett may work for a Lambic or Flanders Red, I'm not sure how it will work in a stout like this. Or am I trying to out-think the room here?

Back