Ethyl Alcohol Replacement for Slanting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderwig

Reaction score
I am just getting into yeast slanting and ordered a bunch of stuff I need, like vials, from a company. I also included a bottle of ethyl alcohol in my order, since every single slanting howto mentions using it to sanitize your SS wire for innoculating. I just got an email from the company today stating the following:

Thank you for your order! Please be advised that due to restrictions on the sale of chemicals, we cannot ship chemicals to an individual or to a residence. Therefore, item CHE-82434 Ethyl Alcohol, 95% denatured, 500ml <H> has been omitted from your order.

Does anyone know either, where else I can purchase ethyl alcohol, or something I can use instead? Can you use Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol?

You can use isopropanol just as effectively (but you can't drink it) - get it at the pharmacy. Use a 70% solution with H2O (it actually kills more bugs at 70 than at 95%)

You can use isopropanol just as effectively (but you can't drink it) - get it at the pharmacy. Use a 70% solution with H2O (it actually kills more bugs at 70 than at 95%)

The 70% working concentration is a good point. Forgot about it, thanks for pointing it out.

You should be using a flame to sterilize your inoculating loop. You should already be working near a flame to create an updraft. So, just flame the loop and be done with it.

For other things, if you really need reagent grade chemicals, you can buy them from Hi-Valley Chemical. They are a hobbyist chemical supply.

You can use isopropanol just as effectively (but you can't drink it) - get it at the pharmacy. Use a 70% solution with H2O (it actually kills more bugs at 70 than at 95%).

As though Everclear is actually "drinkable." :drunk:

Latest posts

Back