Silicone waterless air locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about those, but why don't you use the two-piece?

I'm not sure what you mean by two piece, do you mean the s-shaped ones?

I've heard that S-Shaped Airlocks http://morebeer.com/view_product/16599/103702/Airlock_-_S-Shaped can gurgle both forwards and backwards (in and out)

I just picked some up to try...

I had a recent Pale ale pull in about a pint of Sanitizer out of my blow-off during cooling. I was a very sad panda :(

If it gurgles backwards though, wouldn't it just be pulling in air, meaning more oxygen and a higher chance for contamination? The waterless silicone ones will actually hold a suction if they start to pull backwards.

If it gurgles backwards though, wouldn't it just be pulling in air, meaning more oxygen and a higher chance for contamination? The waterless silicone ones will actually hold a suction if they start to pull backwards.
So it would implode my carboy?

So it would implode my carboy?

Ha, good word. It depends on how much you cooled it down. It would take quite a bit of suction pressure to break a glass carboy, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to losing an entire batch. When I cold crash I usually just use a piece of sanitized foil. I think the suction capability of the waterless silicone are more intended for small, unintentional temperature fluctuations.

Any air that is sucked in will be FAR less than the exposure that occurs when taking a hydro sample. The point is no water sucked in. Also, the air that may enter is at least minimally filtered by the water. The point of the air lock is only partially for sanitation. The point is to guard against prolonged oxygen diffusion.

Ha, good word. It depends on how much you cooled it down. It would take quite a bit of suction pressure to break a glass carboy, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to losing an entire batch. When I cold crash I usually just use a piece of sanitized foil. I think the suction capability of the waterless silicone are more intended for small, unintentional temperature fluctuations.
I've sucked jars down pretty far with vacuum pumps but how often do we hear about a carboy going with very little provocation? At some point you still have to open it anyhow. I use star san in my air lock. Haven't lost a batch yet and I do cold crash.

mcnewcp said:

If it gurggles back, yes it is bringing in air, but it's passing through sanitizer.

Dont know if this helps, but i have started lowering the level of my vodka in my airlocks when i cold crash. It will suck in but wont add vodka or sanitized water in. About half way to the line works, for me at least.

S-shaped (two-piece) will not suck sanitizer back into the carboy.
Cup-type (three-piece) will.
Air sucked into the carboy is of no consequence since the carbon dioxide is heavier, and forms a protective gas layer over the beer.

S-shape for beer, cup shape for wine.

S-shaped (two-piece) will not suck sanitizer back into the carboy.
Cup-type (three-piece) will.
Air sucked into the carboy is of no consequence since the carbon dioxide is heavier, and forms a protective gas layer over the beer.

S-shape for beer, cup shape for wine.
The gases WILL mix but their will be very little oxygen introduced this way. I don't know how much oxygen and how much time is required to oxidize beer because I haven't had it happen yet. Some people with more refined palates than mine may be able to pick something up. I cannot. This is one of those 'magic bullet' devices as far as I'm concerned. It plays more on our desire to perfect every last little detail more than it solves an actual problem.

If it's sucking sanitizer back into the fermenter, you're doing it wrong. I've never seen that happen.

I'm regards to the waterless airlocks...

I have 3 and love 'em...totally worth it! No evaporation...worrying about liquid getting sucked into the beer. Easy to clean...totally recommend them

If it's sucking sanitizer back into the fermenter, you're doing it wrong. I've never seen that happen.

Or you are cold crashing.

I have also seen my buddies s-shape airlock suck back when cold crashing as well. So it can happen.

like i said, i lower my level of vodka and haven't had an issue since that first cold crash. I'm sure there are several work arounds, but i'm working with what i have.

I am considering a couple of these silicone ones though

Or you are cold crashing.

I have also seen my buddies s-shape airlock suck back when cold crashing as well. So it can happen.

It will only happen if the airlock is overfilled. If filled properly suck back will not happen.

It will only happen if the airlock is overfilled. If filled properly suck back will not happen.

If i have it filled to the line it will suck in when cold crashing. It's not much, and won't ruin the beer. That it's the level at which you are suppose to fill it correct?

if i remove half, which i now do i have no problems when i cold crash.

I have always been told to fill these to the line, but please enlighten me if that is wrong. I'm always up to learn something new.

It will do that. I have it filled to the line while fermenting then when i crash take it down to half way and get none. I guess i could just leave it half way all the time but if this system works for me what's wrong about it?

Your using glass carboys then.

With BB's when you pick them up they tend to suck air, and sometimes santizer through the airlock.

The long and short of it is I could give two ****s about a few thimbles of sanitizer or vodka getting sucked into my beer, it wont affect the 5.5 gallons its going into.

You guys should find something more impactful to worry about.

If i have it filled to the line it will suck in when cold crashing. It's not much, and won't ruin the beer. That it's the level at which you are suppose to fill it correct?

if i remove half, which i now do i have no problems when i cold crash.

I have always been told to fill these to the line, but please enlighten me if that is wrong. I'm always up to learn something new.

He was referring to s-shaped airlocks.

If you read the ad page and the comments just below it, it says the silicone is very slippery when wet. It says the airlock and the gromment need to be perfectly dry. Unlikely to stay perfectly dry in a high krausen situation. The 2 peice or "ess" shaped airlock will suck sanitizer back in the fermenter if the pressure drops. However, as mentioned above, the 3 peice airlock will not. Sounds like the traditional 3 piece airlock will solve your problem.

This isn't supposed to be a remedy against high krausen anyway... Only a blowoff tube is... Once the hard part is over or for long secondary phases of big beers, that's when it starts to make sense... No more forgetting to refill airlocks...

It's not that hard to use some kind of fishing line knot to keep it in place anyway... One of my carboy has a slightly tighter opening and normal airlocks always seem to want to pop out WHEN WET... ;-) That's what I do...

This isn't supposed to be a remedy against high krausen anyway... Only a blowoff tube is... Once the hard part is over or for long secondary phases of big beers, that's when it starts to make sense... No more forgetting to refill airlocks...

Thank you for actually reading my original question. I think this thread has gotten away from me...

If you were to start a thread asking if winter tires are good in snow, I'm sure some people would respond not to buy winter tires for summer because they're not as good in hot climates during thunderstorms...

B-)

I was just wondering if any of you have tried these and what your thoughts are on them. I'm looking for a way to keep my long term brews from pulling in sanitizer every time they see a small temp fluctuation.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Silicone-Waterless-Airlock.html

Gotta love this place! 38 posts here in response to the above OP and very few had anything to do with actual experience regarding the item(s) in question! ...Ok, 39 now but you get the point.

This forum is about the best place on the 'net to get information tho. Well, most of the time!

Gotta love this place! 38 posts here in response to the above OP and very few had anything to do with actual experience regarding the item(s) in question! ...Ok, 39 now but you get the point.

No, I don't get the point. You dig up a 2 year old thread to make yet another useless post.

Back