24hr - Fermentation Process - First Timer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Ferment

Reaction score
Greetings dear reader,

Yesterday, was the first time I tried to make alcohol. Ingredients and material used:

4litres of water (tap)
4cups of sugar (regular)
1"cake" of fresh baker's yeast
10strawberry tea bags

It's been about 24hrs and I am now sitting at my computer drinking a rather delicious carbonated beverage. An acidic/alcoholic taste is definitely present. I think the baker's yeast speeds up the fermentation process. There's no "raw dough" flavor that's been mentions by individuals who've used this kind of yeast. Surprisingly, I'm getting quite a pleasant buzz. A normal buzz that is felt after drinking about 3-4beers (I'm 6.2ft and 210lbs). I've only consumed less then half - less then 2litres!

I was using a non-food grade large bottle and I started to worry about the smell. It smelt like acid and it started to smell unpleasant. So, I opened it and poured myself half a glass of a light strawberry liquid, thinking that my first attempt was ruined.

It's quite good, really. However, my only concern is the sweetness. It's not disgusting sweet (maybe for some), it's similar to drinking melted strawberry candy. Not bad, but probably not a very healthy choice.

Anyway, it works!!!

This would be a great hobby:)

Feel free to post comments, opinions, questions, etc...

Thanks,

Frank

Ouch. That sounds a little more like hooch than anything. As many will point out after me, give apfelwein a try if you are interested in a really easy and cheap homebrewing adventure.

Brewing with baker's yeast will do the trick in a bind, but why not use the best tools for the job and get some actual brewing yeast?

As for fermenting with actual teabags, I can say I've never heard of that before. Sounds like a good way to infuse a flavor into a beverage without necessarily using juices and the such. Many brewers make a "tea" with coriander and such, so it is not too far fetched.

Anyways, I suggest getting your hands on a food-grade bucket and carboy(a #1 or #2 water bottle will also work) and use a sanitizer before your next batch. Read the recipe section here or http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ for a quick primer on winemaking and recipes.

I hope that this persuades to abandon your sugar water fermenting.

First of all...Welcome to the Forum.
I've had good luck making a "Quick Mead" with honey, Flavored tea and water...The "Quick" is relative though. Like 1 month or less. Patients is indeed a virtue. If you can't leave things alone for 24 hours...you may need a different hobby.
If you want something ready in 24 hours, (I read this somewhere else today) Try 3 parts Apple Juice, and 1 part Everclear.

Browse around for a few days and see if you don't come up with some better ideas.

Hooch - lol

I don't think I'll ever do that again... it's just, it's hard for my to get alcohol, so I wanted to see if this would work and it did!:)

For next time, I'll try to get a bit of money and go to the local wine-place (5min. away from my house) and get some wine-makers yeast. Second, I'll go to Loblaws and buy a few liters of grape juice. Mix and presto! Although, I'll make sure to leave it alone for about a month. Btw, what type of sugar would be best?

I actually got drunk from drinking 2.5 liters of that stuff (the hooch)!!!

The cheaper the better - MORE! Anyway, I've heard that buying grape juice + added sugar + wine yeast = amazing tasting wine.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Frank

Save yourself the trouble of lugging the heavy grape juice home and use grape concentrate. Most of the grape juice are from concentrates anyway. Just need to make sure there isn't any preservatives.

I don't think I'll ever do that again... it's just, it's hard for my to get alcohol, so I wanted to see if this would work and it did!:)

For next time, I'll try to get a bit of money and go to the local wine-place (5min. away from my house) and get some wine-makers yeast. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Frank

My thought is that if you are able to buy winemakers yeast, but not alcohol, that you are underage. You must be of legal age to participate in our forum. Come back when you are older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back