Nesting brew kettles - valves??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedijon

Reaction score
Two part question; leaning towards the Winware kettles because they're nice and low and should boil off well. Anybody have the 32 and 40 quart and nest them?

Second half of the question, any way to get a valve/thermometer combo on both and STILL nest them?? I was thinking weldless bulkheads and a male quick disconnect fitting on the 32 qt. Then the female half of the QD goes onto the ball-valve. Assuming they fit without said valve...with this configuration, will it still fit inside the 40qt?

I think you're asking about nesting for storage purposes but you might want to clarify that because I initially thought you intended on building a double wall insulated tun out of them. Just a ball valve by itself is going to stick out about 3" and any hose barb or QD is going to add another 2". You can use a 3pc ball valve and take it apart for storage leaving the threaded base sticking out only 1" or so from the pot.

Installing a disconnect right at the hole could work but will lengthen the entire valve set when you are using it.

Like Bobby said a 3 piece valve could be taken apart each time to allow nesting.

Thanks for the replies. The 3 piece valve seems the better choice.

I do intend to nest the items for storage, not to make a double-walled vessel.

Another "nesting" question. Would the 40 quart stainless and 40 quart aluminum Winware kettles nest? I can see that I need to allow >1.25" difference in radius to hold the fitting on the aluminum kettle (as it appears to be narrower and taller than the stainless).

Ideally, someone with both could tell me. Just about as ideally, someone could measure the circumerence of the interior & exterior of both kettles (and the height at which the handles are placed).

Thanks!

Back