Spot That Hop Disease!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
That time of the year, I think. I've been trying to track down exactly what this is. I'm growing just outside DC and we had a HOT week. I've been watering regularly but never the leaves, however I haven't yet cut any of the leaves near the ground. I've dome some research (wiki even has a good list) but don't see any pictures. Any idea what this is?

Front:
aaIMAG0247.jpg

Back:
aaIMAG0248.jpg

I have eight vines growing, this is slowly climbing up 6 of them and seems to be starting from the ground. I didn't notice anything three days ago, then after the two 98 degree days this appeared. Any ideas?

Bugs is my guess. Piercing/sucking mouthparts by the picture. Sorry, that's all I got. I have a feeling some bug experts will chime in to clarify.

I've got the same thing on some tomato leaves, I give a third vote for insect of some type, aphids/gnats/ants/grasshoppers are just a few of what I've been able to identify on my plants, so it could be one of the above, or one of the other unknown nibblers. It seems like a bought of hot dry weather will bring out a host of bugs to feed on anything healthy such as a well maintained garden.

I'll have to look into insect remedies. Never done anything like the ladybug buy I hear about but I might give it a shot.

I didn't notice before, but the white stuff on the back of the leaf would concern me.

I live in PA and had the same problem. It is insects due to the weird spring this year. I use Neem oil every few weeks and it works great. Just make sure that you also hit the underside of the leaves also trim atleast tho bottom foot or so of leaves and lateral arms it seems the insects are less likely to go up on the plants, and it also helps preventing over wet root mass.

\efinetly not sucking/peircing insects, so no aphids. Either slugs/snail or some kind of sawfly/caterpillar. Do you see any slime trails from slugs?

If it is sawfly/caterpillars, they usually go away and not often a real problem.

That definitely does not look like slug/snail damage to me. They tend to leave gaping holes with no netting left. Also it seems improbable that a slug would climb up the gnarly stems of a hop plant.

So the damage that happened so quickly appears to have subsided slightly (knocking on wood) with no action taken by me. The weather has been more than a little off, with a cool early spring and then, several high-90s and 100 degree days.

The film looking stuff on the back of the leaf in the photo seems to be gone, I can't find it on any leaves.

I plan on trimming and planting transplanting some yarrow from a trip to PA we're taking this week, yarrow apparently is a good attracter of lady bugs which will hopefully solve the problem. I'd like to spend some time with that field guide and look into neem oil as well. The hardest part about this is figuring out exactly what is doing it as I haven't caught anyone in the act.

Latest posts

Back