3/8 Soft Copper for Pick Up Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee_smn

Reaction score
I have some soft copper tubing left from my brew stand project and was thinking of using it for a pick up tube. I don't want to use hard metal because i want to bend it to the side like bargainfittings whirlpool tube. Anyone see any problems with this?

I had some 3/8" as well and wanted to do the same thing, but couldn't find a sweat to 1/2" NPT fitting that would make the adaptation in one step. I ended up using 1/2" Type L with a 1/2" sweat to 1/2" Male NPT.

In my previous keggle I made a pickup tube from 1/2" soft copper and attached it with a flare fitting so I could remove it for the occasional deep clean. You should be able to find a 1/2 mpt x 3/8 flare at HomeDepot or Lowes.

I do. I used the 1/2 mpt x 3/8 flare/compression fitting (are they the same thing?) that Trigger mentioned. Works fine.

thanks for the input guys.

Bill a flare fitting is a type of compression fitting but when people say compression fitting it is usually the kind that doesn't need screwed on.

I know I can connect it, it will be the exact fittings I used to connect my copper to the black pipe. My worry is about the actual soft copper, is it okay to use as a pick up tube in my bk and is 3/8 big enough?

thanks again, happy memorial day.

The soft copper is fine to use in your BK. 3/8" OD will work, but 1/2" OD will work better. How much better is somewhat dependent on how the rest of the system is set up. ie, pump or no pump, recirculation chilling or not etc.

thanks cat, so since I have it, at the very least it won't hurt to give it a try?

i'm all gravity fed, I will prob use my ic, and recirculation will be done in my mash tun only.

thanks cat, so since I have it, at the very least it won't hurt to give it a try?

i'm all gravity fed, I will prob use my ic, and recirculation will be done in my mash tun only.

Yes, absolutely give it a try. I don't think you will have any problems, but you will need to use hop bags or a paint strainer thing. One hop leaf can clog a small tube in a heartbeat, or any other gunk for that matter.

Back