Ale vs Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

index.jpg

Cooper's upscale kits has some that use a hybrid yeast like that. Some that have tried them say it works pretty good. I'm trying to remember which kits used it. Thomas Cooper's selection I think?...They're said to be better than the OS kits.

By the way, OP, don't post the same question in more than one forum. If you asked in the wrong forum, ask a moderator to move for you instead of posting it again in another forum. New one here.

Expect this one to get deleted.

I'm trying to remember which kits used it. Thomas Cooper's selection I think?...They're said to be better than the OS kits.

All their Premium Selection series (Heritage Lager, Traditional Draught, Australian Bitter....) come with a blend of ale/lager yeast. Their Australian Pale Ale and Mexican Cerveza also come with it.

I believe Wyeast or White Labs has a lager/ale blend for cream ales.

I was going to ferment at about 60 degees F which would be more like a lager. I was going to see if I got a better attenuation using both.

Would you ferment this blend like an ale?

Ferment it however you want to. I've used it at 50, 60 and 66 degrees just fine. If you want to ferement it low be sure to pitched plenty of it. The 7 grams that come with the kits won't cut it. I'll use slurry from a prior batch in order to have enough. Generally, I'll set the thermostat at 60. I figure that's a good temp for both the ale and lager strains to work equally.

Do you mean using both yeasts in the same fermenter, or splitting the batch into two fermenters, using ale in one and lager in the other?

TB

One wort with both yeasts. Maybe it would increase the attenuation.

If all you're looking for is better attenuation, there are more reasonable ways of getting it. Is there another objective with this? Are you looking for flavor characteristics?

You can brew a Kolsch (with Kolsch yeast) and some lager like beers with 2112.

Back