White Labs vs Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcsxd9

Reaction score
I am planning my second brew and have purchased a BB ingredients kit for a European Bock. It came with some dry yeast. If I purchased the White Labs German Bock yeast would the results make up for the cost?

Thanks for any help!

Well, the dry kit yeast may or may not be a true lager yeast. What temperature is it suggesting you ferment at? The bock yeast might be a better bet, but only if you're set up to ferment cool and then to lager the beer cold for several weeks. Also, you will need to make a yeast starter for the liquid yeast, particularly since it is a lager and will need a pretty high pitch rate.

Well, it sounds like that yeast would work fine at cooler temps. Not too sure what type of results you would get. I've never used a dry lager yeast, but have heard mixed reviews. The liquid yeast is probably a better option if you can make an appropriate starter.

Back