Carb Tab Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I used Munton's Carb Tabs to carbonate my double chocolate stout. It has been over a month and the beer isn't carbed at all. I know stouts generally take longer, but I was hoping to see some carbonation by now. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the beer is amazing even without being carbed. :ban:

Yeah i had no luck with them either. They do not seem to dissolve all the way.

Here is my story:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/muntons-carbtabs-not-fan-101241/

My honey APA (bottled 12.13.08 stored at 68) is still not carbonated correctly. Some are flat and some are lightly carbonated. (**EDIT** I should mention that I tried 1 last week that was flat.)

It is not the only batch that turned out flat it is just the oldest.

I love these tabs -- they have saved my bacon more than once.

However, despite the instructions, you need to let the sugar dissolve for a day or so, then gently roll the bottles across the counter to evenly suspend the sugar in the bottle. Otherwise, it takes forever for the yeasties to get at all that sugar stuck at the bottom of the bottle in a thick, viscous paste.

Because we were talking about this I just opened a Honey APA (the one bottled 12.13.08) and it is flat. Not 100% flat but pretty damn flat. It is flat like beer that you are moving to secondary a little too early.

I also can see chunks of the tabs floating in my beer. They may have settled if I had chilled the beer first.

Because we were talking about this I just opened a Honey APA (the one bottled 12.13.08) and it is flat. Not 100% flat but pretty damn flat. It is flat like beer that you are moving to secondary a little too early.

I also can see chunks of the tabs floating in my beer. They may have settled if I had chilled the beer first.

You didn't mix the sugar in, did you......

:D

No I followed directions per the label. (i meant to say that in my last post.)

It seems silly to me that the directions do not work but I guess that is the way things are. Q-tips say not to insert them into your ear.

Definitely not too late. Roll em up, then store them at 70 - 75 F for a couple weeks. Give em another role every few days, if you like.

Awesome. Thanks for the advise. By the way, I built your mash tun a while back and love it. Thanks for the blueprints.

Back