fermenters are hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAYMACK58

Reaction score
Its hot here in Colorado right now and my fermenters are too hot. I have solved this problem by wrapping them in a wet towel around them. I'm concerned that I this 90 degree weather will effect the bottles temp.

If you have a fan you can have it blowing on the wet towels that you wrapped around your fermenters. This will give you about 10˚F of evaporative cooling. The key is to keep the towels moist at all times. I do this by placing my fermenter in a container with some water in it, and have ends of the towels sitting in the water. The water will wick up into the towel, keeping it wet.

That's what I'm doing now and that's working quite well. Its bottling day for me, I let my bottles sit for two Weeks should I be concerned since I store then in a cardboard box a wet towel won't really work for that

JAYMACK58, what johnsma22 is talking about is called a "swamp cooler". You can find lots of info about them if you do a search on this site.

You can also add frozen water bottles to the swamp cooler to get the temps down. This is how I have to ferment here in good ol' El Paso!

That's what I'm doing now and that's working quite well. Its bottling day for me, I let my bottles sit for two Weeks should I be concerned since I store then in a cardboard box a wet towel won't really work for that

Wait.... Are we talking about bottled beer or fermenters?

The bottles should be stored somewhere between 70-80F while carbing up. Once they are carbed you can cellar them at 50-65F. If you don't have a nice, cool basement/cellar, then you can just leave them at room temp until you're ready to consume. When you are ready to consume put them in the fridge for a few days (or longer if you can) before you drink them..

The life of a packaged beer doubles with every ten degree lower storage temp. I think that is in degrees C. Dr Bamforth said this in an interview on Brew Strong.

The cooler temps will prevent a beer from aging... So barley wines and other big beers benefit from cellar temps over fridge temps.

Back