Strong Bitter Redcoat's ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdubdvdt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Yeast Starter
No. Rehydrate and pitch directly.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-21 days at 66-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
See below.
This is my first time posting a recipe, so bear with me. This is my second favorite recipe so far.

Grain/Mash

4 lbs UK Pale Ale
4 lbs Maris Otter
0.75lbs (12oz) UK 65L Crystal
0.5 lbs (8oz) CaraPils
0.25 lbs (4oz) US 20L Crystal
0.375 lbs (6oz) Honey Malt

Hops/Boil Additions
(9 AAU) Willamette 60'
0.25 tsp Irish Moss 15'
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings 10'
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings 1'

Yeast
Safale S-04 or WL013 London Ale

Single infusion mash:
Mash grains at 152F 60' (using 4 US gallons)
Sparge at 170F 10' (using 3.65 US gallons)
Boil 60' (Pre boil volume 6.5 gal)

Comments:
Simply a balanced ESB that is easy to drink while having a balanced complexity within the malt and hops. EKG is mild, but prominent in the beer. The bitterness is solid, but balanced as stated before. Great thick and foamy head. Moderate lacing with every sip.

My brew:
OG 1.058
FG 1.014
Probably would recommend using some gelatin to clear during a secondary or kegging.

Cheers

I am going to sub to this. I want to do an ESB and this one looks really good. Can I assume that I could substitute the UK pale for Canadian 2-row?

I am going to sub to this. I want to do an ESB and this one looks really good. Can I assume that I could substitute the UK pale for Canadian 2-row?

Sorry I missed this. I took a hiatus this summer and didn't really check HBT.
The UK pale is a lighter and cleaner malt than the Maris Otter. I would assume you should get a very similar beer by using the Canadian 2 row if you still use Maris Otter in the recipe.

Cheers.

Considering remaking this one with this modification to go straight MO instead of splitting the base grain.

4 lbs UK Pale Ale
4 lbs Maris Otter

8 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 lbs (8oz) CaraPils

Considering remaking this one with this modification to go straight MO instead of splitting the base grain.

4 lbs UK Pale Ale
4 lbs Maris Otter

8 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 lbs (8oz) CaraPils
Imo, you can never go wrong with MO. Also tossing out Golden Promise as an option, if you're looking for some of the "ESB" cleaner sweetness v. the somewhat richer, nuttier quality of MO (that's my experience of both, YMMV).

Imo, you can never go wrong with MO. Also tossing out Golden Promise as an option, if you're looking for some of the "ESB" cleaner sweetness v. the somewhat richer, nuttier quality of MO (that's my experience of both, YMMV).
Maybe I need to do two smaller batches and see which one I like more! Thanks for the suggestion.

You post about it yet? Got a link?
No, nothing special really. It's just based on the Coniston's Brewery Bluebird bitter, so 95% MO, 5% crystal, and 100% Challenger hopping. I've got slants of Cullercoats, Somerset, Wards, and Yorkshire yeasts - all from England. I've worked with them all before but it has been years, just coming back in myself over the last several months. Here's the recipe (Cullercoats - all identical except the yeast used).

cullercoats yeast trial.png

No, nothing special really. It's just based on the Coniston's Brewery Bluebird bitter, so 95% MO, 5% crystal, and 100% Challenger hopping. I've got slants of Cullercoats, Somerset, Wards, and Yorkshire yeasts - all from England. I've worked with them all before but it has been years, just coming back in myself over the last several months. Here's the recipe (Cullercoats - all identical except the yeast used).

View attachment 847184
No need for 90 min Boil with M.O. - 60 mins max or even 30 mins is all that is necessary

View attachment 847184
I'd second that for a basic recipe for a nice bitter. 95% MO, 5% C65, Challenger hops for about .8 ibu ratio, some EKG at flameout, and Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire.

Back