acidulated malt versus adding wine to your malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgalbin

Reaction score
There was an obscure reference to an 1800s Austrian Beer Style called WEINBIER in the history of brewing. I asked if anyone new about it and actually got routed back to Ray Daniels who could not find anything more about it in his notes. I also really liked the Midas Touch beer

Reading threads about the acidulated malt got me to thinking: how would adding say 1/3 - half a cup of wine per pound of mash at the beginning of the process when you are doing the acid rest impact the flavor and extraction of the sugars and the overall finished beer

I think I am going to try the experiment but I am hoping there are some more experienced brewing chemists out there that could speculate and help me with what a meaningfull ratio would be. I have a Vignoles white that has 3.1 ph for instance that I was thinking of using

Do you have and pH-meter, or pH-strips? They will tell you acurately, how much wine is necessary to drive the pH to desired level. Without it it will be hard to guess, it stongly depends on water and grist.

Are you sure the reference isnt just for strong beer close to the strenght of wine? AKA Barleywine.

Latest posts

Back