First Brew, First Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after a couple of Fischer beers this evening, I'm saving up the swing top bottles, I decided to open up the first bottle from my very first batch of homebrew. The plan was to wait until Friday, but, I let it set two weeks in primary and then three weeks in the bottle before chilling the first one last Friday and decided to give it a try. I was going to wait a full week in the cold before drinking, but decided to crack one bottle to evaluate.

The verdict...kind of cidery!! However, this was my first beer and it is a Mr. Beer kit brewed according to instructions. So, I used the booster and primed with cane sugar. In the future I plan on using DME and corn sugar, but wanted a baseline for comparison. Despite it's flaws, it's actually not the worst beer I've ever tried. It carbed great.

I plan on doing a Mr. Beer Hefe next using DME and priming with corn sugar. I've also acquired a full 5 gallon equipment kit and plan on brewing a dark brown ale kit as my first full 5 gallon batch in a couple of weeks, unfortunately I'm out of town for a week or two.

BTW, the ant didn't effect the flavor at all...that's for those of you who have been paying attention.

I missed the thing about the ant, but that can't stop me from saying

good_job_blue_ribbon.png

Okay, it's goofy, but it's true. :D

Bob

NQ3X, I love that avatar.

I am hoping that a little more time in the bottle will even it out, but didn't expect anything spectacular from this one.

Oh, the ant, as I think I mentioned in the Mr. Beer thread. A small ant managed to make its way into the last bottle. I noticed it afterwards floating around. That was the last and cloudiest beer and the first one I drank. Didn't taste any ant and it turned out a lot clearer than I expected.

Well, I just cracked bottle number two. It warm conditioned for a week longer than the first one. Although, I only chilled it 48 hours prior to consumption. The taste is much less cidery. It's still there slightly, but FAR superior to the first one. I'm out of town for a couple of weeks. So, I'm hoping that, once I'm back, they'll have mellowed out nicely.

Back