New Local Bar and Grill, yay! (not)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I guy from work started a small bar and grill downtown. This is a good thing as our local economy is in a downturn right now, and it's good to see a building downtown being used.

Anyway, the family goes down this weekend for a burger and a beer. I ask the waitress what beers they have.

"Oh we got all kinds of beers"

I'm not expecting anything great, so I ask if they have Bass Pale Ale.

"??"

Bass?

"Do you have a second choice in case we don't have that?"

I notice a Leiney Creamy Dark mirror on the wall, so I suggest that would be good enough.

She comes back. "We don't have either of those. Our special beers are Killians and Sam Adams."

Sammy it is. Shortly thereafter the owner shows up and we chat for a moment. I mention everything was pretty nice, except the beer selection is pretty standard. Yes, I know they are just starting up, but i figure the only way they will know to order better beer is if people ask for it, right? I suggest maybe Blue Moon. It's different, and yet light enough for BMC drinkers to appreciate.

I met him at work today and he said he likes his beer as thin and cold as possible. "The more it tastes like water, the better I like it."

Doesn't bode well for my local bar and grill.:(

On a mroe pleasant note, I got a call yesterday from a lady at the VFW hall reminding me of the beer tasting party on Saturday. Experience from our company's gathering there has let me know that they stock some pretty good imports for people who know. Can't wait! :rockin:

stupid owner said:
I met him at work today and he said he likes his beer as thin and cold as possible. "The more it tastes like water, the better I like it."

All I can say to that is, if you run your business based only on what you like, rather than what the customers like, you're going to find yourself with a 'for lease' sign on the front window within a matter of months. Srsly, who cares how YOU like your beer, dude----it's not about YOU, it's about the customers, you know, the people with the money.

I wish him luck, but with that attitude, things don't look good...

A buddy of mine runs a pool a hall and I've talked to him a couple of times about specialty beers. He said that he would put something special on tap and it would sell great for 2 weeks, then it would just sit. Move it out for something else and it would do the same thing. Looking at his sales figures though he doesnt make any more money on 'specialty beers' than any other night, people move from BMC to the new stuff and then back to BMC. Plus he winds up with a half keg he cant get rid of. From a buisness standpoint, at least for a pool hall, people want BMC.

Evan! said:
All I can say to that is, if you run your business based only on what you like, rather than what the customers like, you're going to find yourself with a 'for lease' sign on the front window within a matter of months. Srsly, who cares how YOU like your beer, dude----it's not about YOU, it's about the customers, you know, the people with the money.

I wish him luck, but with that attitude, things don't look good...

While I of course agree with you (how could you not), it appears that his taste and the taste of the vast majority of his potential customers are similar. You can easily run a bar and grill with nothing but BMC and Sam Adams.

Virtuous said:
A buddy of mine runs a pool a hall and I've talked to him a couple of times about specialty beers. He said that he would put something special on tap and it would sell great for 2 weeks, then it would just sit. Move it out for something else and it would do the same thing. Looking at his sales figures though he doesnt make any more money on 'specialty beers' than any other night, people move from BMC to the new stuff and then back to BMC. Plus he winds up with a half keg he cant get rid of. From a buisness standpoint, at least for a pool hall, people want BMC.

yeah, that's exactly right. BMC...and keep SABL and maybe one other, like Killians a la the OP, for the people who don't like BMC. You've got to know your clientèle...

We had the opposite happen recently. A new place opened up after months of signs with coming soon out front. The beer selection was decent. Some flying dogs some harpoon some other good stuff. But the food and service were horrible. We haven't been back and I doubt we will.

I think he will do well. I doubt I live in a real beer hotspot (Redneckland). He is cost-conscious, and likely knows his clientele. The food was pretty good, although not very fancy. The place was pretty busy, and there is another bar like 2 doors down. I think people will show up to drink BMC and shoot the bull and maybe have a burger.

I can see myself doing that, as long as I realize I'm drinking SAMMY. I mentioned Blue Moon, so we'll see if he goes for that. I was fairly upset about the leiny dark. If yoiu got a sign, it's like advertising damit!

Back