Thermapen sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dropped my Thermapen in hlt last brew session at 165f. took about a minute to get it out and thought for sure it would be in bad shape. Nope, still works like a charm and is all clean. :)

All my CDN's would be off by 5 to 10 degrees which would most likely affect my mash efficiency.
One up. Seam got too hot on my hand and I dropped my CDN into the boil. Fished it out with a long spoon. Didn't miss a beat. (Yeah, I know. The temperature was boiling. So why was I checking?)

I’ve got to wonder how a calibratable thermometer can be off by 5 to 10 degrees. :confused:

So are you going to throw it out and buy a new one every six months or so to keep it in calibration? Or send it in?

8 years of being a test engineer has taught me even the best equipment can't hold a calibration forever. And as nice as a thermapen might be, it is crap compared to lab grade equipment...

A homebrewer claiming that boiling water is hard... sigh... stubborn people...

I'm just making homebrew, not designing a space shuttle. I don't really need lab grade equipment, though I do pick it up on E-bay. All my stir plates, hot plates, etc are used lab grade. You can't beat the quality. It's good stuff, but I wouldn't buy it new for 5x-10x the price.

I worked in a lab for ~6 years. I check my calibration occasionally. So far it's been spot on after 3+ years. I'd say that was ~$90 well spent. In that same timeframe, I've probably tossed 4 other thermometers. If it starts to wander, I'll most likely get another Thermapen.

What I get a kick out of is that it's so easy to make a calibration correction chart for ANY thermometer that is isn't even funny. My MOST accurate unit is a Pt100 RTD hooked to a PID readout that I calibrated. It is what I then use to calibrate other thermometers.

What you do is go to Google Earth, and look up your place. Round to the nearest 100 feet of elevation. Look up the boiling point at your elevation. Boil RO or DI water. Insert the thermometer, and let settle for.. oh five minutes or so. Note the reading on the thermometer if it isn't adjustable.. if it is, tweak the adjustment.

At that point you are probably close enough and good enough to know the correction at mash temperature for the device.

Then put ice into relatively pure water. Up to about 100 ppm TDS is probably good enough (I say this because you generally don't need to freeze DI water for this). Let it settle for 15 minutes. Read the the reading, that is your "cold" correction factor. If, you are, for example setting up a keezer or ferm chamber this one is the likely "close enough" reading.

You can then take the slope of those two points to figure out a better correction at any temperature but I'll leave that exercise up to the reader. On an adjustable unit you can back and forth those two setting adjustments until you get it perfect if you want, but generally the thermometers are linear enough in that range that you will find it to almost be exact anyway.

But you can take a thermometer that reads way off and still use it with the correction factor you just found assuming that it's still linear. And it will indeed be accurate to better than 1F that way.

Linear is not a safe assumption, from reports I've read. Doesn't take much to find plenty of reports of this. You can have the endpoints calibrated and it can be off in the middle range.

Your calibration technique works (for the endpoints, at least) but you need a LOT of ice in the water to ensure the right temp.

I use this as a reference:

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/ThermometerCalibration__3_.pdf

I learned my lesson about calibrating after my first batch was made using a cheap thermometer that was 10 degrees off.

All the thermometer a truly skilled brewer really needs:

Finger.jpg

;)

I just sent mine back last week too. I purchased it used from a member on this forum thinking I was getting a good deal. Didn't work right since I got it, and now the price on them new has dropped...

Just an FYI: Thermoworks replaced my thermapen with a new one for free and paid for return shipping. And its warranty had expired almost a year ago. :ban:

My thermapen still hasn't returned. Not sure if it's lost in the mail or what...

It's wandering around, trying to calibrate itself to zero.

My latest investments in brewing are borosilicate airlocks, real lab-grade stuff. I honestly hate those cheapo made in italy plastic airlocks.

It's wandering around, trying to calibrate itself to zero.

My latest investments in brewing are borosilicate airlocks, real lab-grade stuff. I honestly hate those cheapo made in italy plastic airlocks.

Borosilicate tends to be more brittle (or at least prone to chipping) than many other types of glass, which are stronger but not as good with dramatic temperature shifts. Do you need the temperature shock resistance? (what on earth are you doing to your wort?!?!) Or do they not make non-BS airlocks in glass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my new Thermapen mk4 as an upgrade from one I've had since '06. Old one is still going strong, but was looking for something that was better around water, and their Black Friday sale was pretty awesome

Edit: also had great customer service. I lost the battery cover while in culinary school when it slipped out of my pocket, and they expedited two replacements at no charge

Finally got mine unit back. Well, it appears they just sent me a new one....

Hopefully it performs better than the last one...

Back