lager fermentation in the freezing garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a European bock out in my garage where the temp is above freezing however my brew is hovering around the 45° mark...
Am i correct that my beer should still finish just take longer? Do i need to bring inside? I'm on day 8 since i brewed and the temp i pitched was in the mid lager range then slowly cooled about 1° each day since.

I'm using white labs german bock yeast wpl833 i think is the mfg number

Should be ok, but I would probably just bring it inside near the tail end of the fermentation. There's no downside to doing that. What i typically do is start lagers at the temp you did and ramp up to 50.

so after almost a month outside with word/beer temps varying from about 46-52 degrees my gravity did not hit final even close... fg was supposed to be 1.018 and it's was still sitting at 1.022 maybe a little higher. i decided to move to my basement to finish in the ale temp range. with this affect my finished product much?

on a side note, i had it in my basement for over a week and it still did not finish so i roused the yeast and added some fermax yeast energizer/nutrient. i hope this won't ruin my bock.
Anyone know?

Latest posts

Back