step mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Brews

Reaction score
I am going to be doing my frist step mash and am a little confused at what my mash schedule should be. I am making an american Hefe.

The most common temperatures for step mashing are 40-60-70°C (104 - 140 - 158°F). Times at these temperatures change depending on the beer but 30 min is average.

check http://www.howtobrew.com for more details.

Check a couple of the recipes in the database; Yuri's Pistols 'n Pesos Southwestern Wheat does a pretty traditional German hefe schedule:
Acid Rest: 99.0 F 20 min
Protein Rest: 122.0 F 30 min
Maltose Rest: 147.0 F 90 min
Decoct 11.51 qt of mash and boil it
Saccharification: 160.0 F 70 min (temp should be achieved by adding decocted mash)
Mash Out: 170.0 F 10 min

If you're doing all infusions (no decoctions or direct heat on the mash) you likely can't do that one, though. In that case you might want to try a simpler 2-step mash like the on in Pol's Hugh Heffe:
Step Mash... 122 for 30 min, 153 for 45 min.

Beeriffic's 40-60-70 (104-140-158) would work too, but I think for an American Wheat you probably want a rest at 122 to help clear some of the protein haze from the wheat.

I do not mean to question your methods but are sure you dont just want to do a single infusion?

I know, when my LHBS owner suggested that to me over a year ago i thought he was insane, and actually, just a lazy brewer. But being new to AG brewing at the time began reading up on single infusions and step mashing and everything else involved and realized that with most grains today being highly modified step mashing is not nessasry.

I made an american wheat a few weeks ago and kegged it yesterday, did a single infusion and it worked out spendidly.

When i do use the step mash method it looks something like this :

122 for 25 min

145-155 for 45 min (temp depending on style)

168 for 10 min

170 sparge.

Yah, the Pols Hugh Heffe is a rockin beer, the schedule works really well

I think the only reason to do any steps is if you are using under modified malt or a lot of unmalted wheat.

Back