sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
I have been over boiling my wort because I was using a dipstick to measure the volume and didn't take into account the displaced volume of the immersion chiller and the trub loss. So I upgraded to a sight glass that I calibrated for my kettle and also started using a hop bag. Only to be short on my volume once I stopped the boil.......is there a big difference in the sight glass from a boiling liquid to a static liquid??? Or did I look at the wrong line??

I have been over boiling my wort because I was using a dipstick to measure the volume and didn't take into account the displaced volume of the immersion chiller and the trub loss. So I upgraded to a sight glass that I calibrated for my kettle and also started using a hop bag. Only to be short on my volume once I stopped the boil.......is there a big difference in the sight glass from a boiling liquid to a static liquid??? Or did I look at the wrong line??

There is a "shrinkage", usually about 4% or so I think.

Thanks again Yooper! Makes sense.... Must have looked at the wrong line as I hadn't numbered the lines yet. :eek:

Did you still have the chiller and hop bag in the kettle? That is still going to change things with a site glass, same as your dip stick

When I am boiling the level bounces all around in my sight glass, just something to think about. I am not sure if yours was boiling or not. I need to make a heat shield some day to keep the sight glass from boiling.

Oh yeah, sorry, I use a counter flow chiller now also......

I made a heat shield so the wort in the sight glass is not boiling.

Back