Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iā€™ve got two batches ready to bottle, a Cali Common and a Vienna SMaSH. I printed the labels today.
Very nice. I was naming beers after Beatles songs for awhile. Any Time At All would be a session IPA. Back in the USSR would be a RIS, etc. I did some labels but Iā€™m not as advanced with Photoshop as many here.

BDFA3BEA-72AA-4ED9-8734-D964DC509D97.jpeg

E47C5B76-EB19-4BBD-90F7-A9A9AE4C067E.jpeg

9695BA45-BDE7-467A-A2E4-1019AB8296F4.jpeg

7C21903C-8B0F-41D7-8ECB-DF6EFBF7C0C1.jpeg

Some more Beatles labels. I made Old Brown Shoe an English Brown but its the only Beatles song I can find with ā€œoldā€ in the title so that probably should be a barleywine or an old ale.

I make them from scratch in Photoshop. I search the internet for art I like and download it and work with it,

These are just photos of paper labels I have laying on a table. I was using these things called Fastlabel which are basically just plastic shrink wraps that go over the bottom 2/3 of the bottle and you print your label on any paper you want and put it inside before shrinking them down. Once shrunk down they are waterproof and I like them. The best part is the labels are not held on with glue so no more scraping and peeling. Just rip off the plastic and the label falls off. I havenā€™t been able to find them for awhile though - seems like shops stopped carrying them or they are not in business anymore or something.

42083120-F08A-44DC-9BE7-196467B3B799.jpeg

B330FE52-573D-4B64-B60F-AC1E6AC44EE2.jpeg

4B125D13-92C1-4D22-A645-4EA0D9B45FE7.jpeg

174BF366-E1C7-48BF-8D0A-B4A16F7DB703.jpeg

A881910F-7014-4B86-B4A2-1AEEBA05E2A3.jpeg

FA830E71-7A07-4D5B-ACC2-B8A6912F7BC7.jpeg

Last edited:
I opted for these generic logo labels and slap a different color circular sticker on the cap to differentiate.

I would advise against using the little Avery circles. I can say from experience they fall off all the time. I used to use those, had a template to print the beer and the date on them. Before that I used to write cryptic codes on the bottle caps with a sharpie then wonder what the codes meant later.

The little Avery dots and cryptic cap codes are what made me want to start doing labels in the first place.

One thought I had was to do similar to what you are describing and create a generic or standard label with blank spaces on it to write in what the beer is and possibly the born on date. Then it will look all cool with your handwritten batch info on each bottle like they do with some limited edition stuff.

I brewed a 8.9% Dark Weizenbock and a 7.4% Stout for Christmas. Due to the pandemic times we are in, I didn't want to go to town and have labels printed at a shop, so I decided to go with simple labels. This is the 3rd time I've made this kind of labels.

View attachment 710415
What I really like here is how simple this is. Yeah there is no fancy art that catches your eye. But there will also be nothing to spend time scraping or peeling off. Iā€™d even venture to say the way those are tied, those could probably be taken off and re-used if you were to brew the same beer again.

The one thing I would want to do is reinforce the hole somehow where the string goes through. They sell those little reinforcement things we all know the slang name for that go over the holes in punched paper. I would be putting one of those on each side.

But this is just great and for us the purpose is just to know whatā€™s in all the bottles. Weā€™re not selling beer so who needs eye catching art and merchandising? Often the simplest solutions are the best ones.

What do people use to design these great labels? Also are any of them very cheap to free programs? šŸ˜‚ I spend enough on this hobby as is.

I use Photoshop Elements, older version on an older mac. Took time to learn how to use many of the tricks and features and it has options I still donā€™t know how to use. Iā€™ve been playing with it for a long time and Iā€™m not a Photoshop expert but I get by with it.

The Beer Labelizer basic version is free. The premium upgrade is 5 bucks. I think itā€™s worth it. It adds more label templates that you can add your own images to. It makes creating a label no more difficult than attaching an image to a post on this board.

Back