Malting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
I'm malting and now I'm at roasting level.
i want to know if i can use a microwave oven for roasting green barley?
Does microwave destroy enzymes or have any bad influence on barley?
Thanks.

You don't really have any temperature control with a microwave, which I'm guessing is really important. I would just use the good old fashioned oven.

I would caution against it. Microwaves, I believe, cook from the inside out. Therefore you would either have a cooked middle and under-cooked outer core OR over-cooked middle and regularly cooked outer part.

Out of curiousity, any reason why you don't want to use the oven?

Microwaves excite water molecules causing them to vibrate inturn creating friction causing heat. You would mostly make a barley goo that is steaming cooking the barley. It won't roast. Use the oven.

Irena,

Your situation sounds remarkably like mine. Ovens are a buy it your own damnself item here (as is everything else).

Not everyone here has an oven, but most people have a gas range with a little grill.

Do you have an open flame grill?

bad luck,my friend is at vacation...what you say about using convection or grill on my microwave?

To you have access to an outdoors grill ? I wouldn't recommend putting barley in a microwave: there will be smoke, lots of it from the roasting and you will most assuredly trip the smoke detectors.

I have heard of people making amber or brown malt at home wihtout any problems, but these malt are toated at lower temperatures and for shorter amount of time. I would seriously consider buying ready-made.

Back