Bentonite Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I had a pretty hazy metheglin after about 9 months. I added bentonite 6 days ago and it was crystal clear in a few days.

Today I racked it off and got the TINIEST amount of lees (and clay i suppose?) into the carboy. I can't see my hand at all thru the carboy anymore.

Am I back to 6 days ago, or did the bentonite just get stirred up and will settle out in a few days? I put it in my lager fridge.

It will settle out pretty fast, but the lesson to learn is don't try to rack all the way down to the lees if you want it clear. You have to leave some good mead behind. I call it the Devil's share (as opposed to the Angel's share lost in a barrel). You should pour it on the ground and give the Devil his due, but it's always tempting to go for it. If you do, you pay the price. :(

So do you hold the auto siphon just above the bed? Or do you put it into the sediment, start it and pour the first few ounces into something you chuck out? When making beer i always want a little bit of the trub to make sure it'll carb up fine, this is clearly a different process.

Yeah, its settling fast and I'll be fine to bottle in a few days.

Back