At what strength (% by vol) does a drink become flammable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandy at 35% is, really? I don't think I was ever able to get an 80 proof alcohol to catch flame (at least more than just a split-second flash.) I think the ability to make flaming shots begins at 100 proof.

I believe brandy is not flammable but if you heat it, it will produce flammable vapor (eg flambe).

Oddly enough, 100 proof is the standard. Before there were good methods for determining ABV, flammability was proof of the strength.

proof is a throwback to when they would proof by gunpowder. the higher the proof, the larger the flame, and the faster the gunpowder lit. i think that 80 proof is minimum to light. According to wikipedia (and most people that I have talked to about this), it is 100 proof, but I did see an Episode of Good Eats (yesterday) where AB lit an 80 proof liquor in a tray of gunpowder.

In the old days proof spirits were spirits that would ignite alone (in some cases) or when poured over gun powder (in other jurisdictions). In any case, 100 proof is roughly the concentration at which you should be able to sustain a flame but certainly flambee'd desserts are made with spirits at lower proof. In those heat seems to be used to drive the vapors out of solution and it is the vapors that are ignited. That also seems to be the case with, for example, sambucca (84 proof) which is often served flaming.

You can also proof by the bubble retention and size.

100 proof is theoretical. If you aspirate/mist wine, you can light the alcohol in it.

Another post that doesn't exactly answer the OP, but relates to some of the previous replies.

Before rum, gin was the 'official' drink of the British Navy. The gin was sometimes stored in close proximity to the gun powder and sometimes the bottles would break and spill on the cases of gun powder.

Obviously the Navy still had to be able to use the gun powder, so they had tests to see how strong gin had to be where it could be spilt on gun powder and the gun powder would still ignite.

At least that's the story Plymouth Gin likes to tell.

Plymouth Gin

(Gin seems to be a little hit and miss with some guys; some like it, some see it a woman's drink. I like gin and I like Plymouth and wish that they sold the Navy Strength stuff over here.)

proof is a throwback to when they would proof by gunpowder. the higher the proof, the larger the flame, and the faster the gunpowder lit. i think that 80 proof is minimum to light. According to wikipedia (and most people that I have talked to about this), it is 100 proof, but I did see an Episode of Good Eats (yesterday) where AB lit an 80 proof liquor in a tray of gunpowder.

The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking of that good eats episode and then you mentioned it! Awesome

Back