dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudester

Reaction score
Do you get good results from dry hopping in the cornie keg.I have not tried it yet. will it plug up the tube.Thanks for any input.

I use a 2" herb ball and I always dry hop in the keg. Just tie a piece of dental floss to it and dangle the ball in the keg. (Pressurize the keg) and let it dry hop for the DH schedule.
Some people just drop the ball into the keg and never remove it.

I have never had a problem with the hops plugging up the PU Tube
-Me

Yes, if you drop the hops in without a muslin bag or herb ball or something to contain them, they WILL plug your pick up tube, (or more likely, your poppet).

If you put them in a muslin bag, (maybe with a marble or SS hose clamp for weight), then you will be fine.

I know this, cuz I did this. I had to siphon the beer out, and it had already been carbonated. Lost 1 gallon. Sad day.

All the time. For leaf hops I use a grain bag, or a nylon paint strainer bag (same thing?) and for pellets I use a finer mesh hop bag. You can use the floss thing, or stainless wire, but the bag has always floated (submerged but at the top of the liquid level) for me.

Back