keg coupler problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahambo

Reaction score
so I bought 2x sanke couplers off some guy on craigslist and upon disassembly bot hof the backflow valves are shot. the ball in one appears to have liquified and the the prong plastic piece is broken. the other the ball is intact but the plastic piece is shattered. can i use the coupler without the plastic piece and just the ball in place? I cant seem to find that little plastic piece anywhere, can i just get a larger ball to eliminate the need for the bracket? help! I have mead that is several years old and only $13 in my bank and really need a drink, im about to just start siphoning from the carboy direct to my mug but that seems like ill have to either drink 5 gallons of mead in one shot or do a LOT of sanitizing between glasses. thanks in advance

Graham

I had an issue with some of those balls in some cl couplers I got so I just took the balls out and the couplers work fine without them. Not needed in my opinion.

you didnt run into backflow problems? it seems that the valve is there to prevent contamination of the keg from the line that is air exposed.......

you didnt run into backflow problems? it seems that the valve is there to prevent contamination of the keg from the line that is air exposed.......

I have never seen any back flow and I have checkvalves in my co2 manifold so its not a big concern for me. They are there to protect your regulator from getting liquid in it. The co2 that is in the lines is the same thing that is going into the keg to push the beer out so there isnt a risk of contamination there.

If you've got a Micromatic coupler...which are very common...you can order parts:

Keg Tap Coupler, D System, Yellow

I personally think the ball is more for keeping beer in the line from pouring on the floor when switching kegs. As long as you don't mind cleaning up a mess when you un-coupler the keg...you'd be fine using it.

Enjoy your hard work!

Back