SMaSH Recipe for Tailgate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
So I've started working at my homebrew shop. We're closed every home Gator game and tailgate in the parking lot with homebrew and a huge grill. I'm gonna brew something up kind of on the lighter side and with a low enough gravity to be able to have that "drinkability" we all crave for and for a quick turn around. Needs to be ready by Sept 5th.

Basically it's a smaller version of Death Brewer's SMaSH.

Batch Size 5.5 gallon
OG: 1.042

8.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 100.00 %

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.8 IBU

Thought about throwing another .5 oz or so in as a FWH.

Think it should pretty drinkable in a 3 weeks?

Had to replace Vienna for Munich. LHBS didn't have enough. Going to use S04 so hopefully this will be drinkable by the beggining of next month.

I couldn't stop eating the Munich grains, they tasted delicious.

Sounds interesting. Post up how it turns out. I'm about to do the same, except with one I came up with. I was really trying to figure out the cheapest recipe but still be good. Hopefully this is one. Brewing it in the next few days. Hopefully my Kentucky Common turns out well, because it's cheap too. I love tailgating, especially since the stadium is a few hundred yards from my house :mug:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Finished up brewing this tonight, hit all my numbers. Made a couple of addtions. Had some extra NB laying around so I did a Mash Hop. I no chill as well so my hop additions were different than the ones listed, but essentially the same.

I got a good feeling about this beer. It's got roughly 3 weeks in the primary then onto a keg. I'll report back with the results.

Let us know how it goes with Munich. I did the Vienna/NB/S05 smash and ended up with a 6.7% beer with 11 lbs of grain. I wasn't shooting that high but that is the way it went. At any rate it was so well balanced with that Vienna maltiness and nice hops taste of the northern brewer.

My buddy who is a big micro nut and quite a hop head said it was the best beer I have made so far.

Pitched the rehydrated S04 a couple hours ago and into the fermentation fridge it went. Got the temp set to around 64F. Hydrometer sample tasted great! I rarely think that hydrometer samples taste good, usually tastes like bitter grains and water.

Plan to leave it on the yeast for around 3 weeks, possibly a little less due to time contraints.

I would not worry about a little less... simple grain bill, not overly hopped. It will smooth out well on carbonation.

Just took a sample of this and holy ****, this might be the best beer I've brewed yet. So clean and malty. I had my Pale Ale recipe up next to brew but I might brew this again instead as this will be drank at the tailgate for sure.

Might start cold crashing it tonight and keg it this weekend.

Latest posts

Back