6.5 Carboy Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svudah

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a couple of glass carboys from CL. A 5 gallon and a 6.5 gallon. I'm familiar with 5 gallon carboys, but have never actually seen a 6.5 in person. That's why I'm not sure if what I have is standard or not. Are the openings on the 6.5s smaller than their 5 gallon counterparts, do they all have a screw threading on the neck of the carboy?

I'm asking all this because I want to buy a carboy cap online, but want to ensure it will fit.

My 6.5 has a screw threading, and the same airlocks fit in the top, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're probably standard-sized.

If you're at all worried, they have this fancy new invention called a ruler :)

Rulers are all well and good, but one needs to know the size of the carboy cap for it to do any good. Unfortunately, I do not.

I figured the supplier would have the diameter available on the site. In any case the openings on my 6.5 and 5-gal carboys are indeed the same size.

Hmm, but are the lips the same size... My 5 gallon carboy cap is too big for the 6.5 gallon carboy.

That's what I'm assuming. I just found it a little odd that my 6.5 carboy needs a smaller cap than the 5 gallon.

Back