Uh oh!! Advice needed quickly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So we are brewing our second beer and we accidentally dropped in an un-sanitized thermometer into 100 degree water while it was cooling. This is the water that we will use to fill up the carboy to the shoulder after the wort goes in. Should we:

A) Not worry about it
B) Boil more tap water to use instead
C) add warm tapwater (not boiled)

your advice is appreciated, the last thing we want to do is taint the beer when we can prevent it. The thermemoter was clean, just not sanitzed!

Thanks!

I use unboiled tap water all the time. 8 batches , no problems yet. If you drink your tap water straight from the faucet, then just sanitze the thermometer and add tap water. Sorry, why are you adding warm tap water. If this is a canned kit. I use hot tap water to mix the hopped LME (about 4 cans) then when its all mixed, i top off with reg (cold side) tap water.

I often add non-boiled tap water. If the thermometer was clean. You're probably okay.
Still I'd just use clean tap water. I wouldn't use warm water unless your house is pretty new.
Either use cold or boil it.

I wonder why you feel the need to boil your water. I know others do but...
You can use cold, your yeast will be fine.

Thanks everyone, we decided to use regular tap water (a little warm and the rest cold - so that we could pitch the yeast at the appropriate temp). We'll let you know how it turns out! Thank you!!

Keep in mind that people have been brewing for thousands of years. Do you really think that our ancestors were all that sanitary? Odds are the unsanitized thermometer wont hurt the beer.

I was so excited/nervous on my first all grain batch I forgot to sanitize my 2 carboys! I sat straight up in bed in the middle of the night in a panic. 10 gallons. It was a SNPA clone. Never got an infection. I do soak, clean and rinse them immediately after draining them and store them upside down so obviously they were clean. RDWHAHB!;)

Back