Pull-Through Compression Fittings for Soldering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I was pretty happy with the simple pull through fitting that was male on one side and female on the other. It made silver soldering a bulkhead nearly foolproof:

ptbulkhead-4T.jpg

If you were putting them into a keg and then using a diptube on the inside you still had to thread in a separate compression fitting. The same could be said for installing a HERMS coil. Here's how you get all that extra bulk out of the equation:

ptbulkcomp12-2T.jpg

They come in either 1/2" or 5/8" compression sizes.

Here's what they look like paired up with a diptube:

diptubePT58-2T.jpg

Considering that you pull the fitting so that the stop rim is against the inside wall of the vessel, look at how compact that compression part is. Basically only the compression nut is exposed.

The plain pull through compression fittings and diptube assemblies are now available and shipping immediately:

http://www.brewhardware.com/?Search=pull

I was pretty happy with the simple pull through fitting that was male on one side and female on the other. It made silver soldering a bulkhead nearly foolproof:

ptbulkhead-4T.jpg

If you were putting them into a keg and then using a diptube on the inside you still had to thread in a separate compression fitting. The same could be said for installing a HERMS coil. Here's how you get all that extra bulk out of the equation:

ptbulkcomp12-2T.jpg

They come in either 1/2" or 5/8" compression sizes.

is there any chance to get some of these pull-through fittings with a larger outside diameter? my existing Keggle(s) have bulkhead fittings (http://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-weldless-ball-valve.html) which require a minimum 1 inch hole. (mine are slightly larger than 1 inch) I'd like to solder in some of these fittings, but unfortunately my existing holes are too large.

btw, the 1/2 pull through fittings are fantastic -- I just bought some and installed on my HLT this past weekend. couldn't be easier.

IMG_20151121_184356166.jpg

IMG_20151122_092425661.jpg

IMG_20151121_082550599.jpg

Bobby - is there any reason why these couldn't be pulled through to the inside? So the silver solder would be on the outside of the pot?

Bobby - is there any reason why these couldn't be pulled through to the inside? So the silver solder would be on the outside of the pot?

Not to speak for Bobby, but
If you look at the picture of the keg I have above you'll notice that the middle fitting is inserted into the keg instead of pulled out of it. It works great.....

Edit: I used the fitting pulled into the keg so that I could use my mpt thermometer without a coupler.

You can pull them in either direction but it makes much more sense to have the male threads on the outside and it's not possible to pull the taper back out and spin it around. In the case of a half or full coupling, the dimple can go in either direction and the fitting can go in from the wide side of the flare in either orientation.

I have a question about this pull through fitting... the instructions on the BrewHardware site say to pull the fitting through until the ring at the female end of the fitting makes contact with the pot wall... maybe I am not picturing this correctly but wouldn't that ring cover up the depression making it difficult to place the ring of solder into the depression? Is there a picture of the inside of the pot after this fitting is pulled through? I have just bought a new pot and was going to install some weldless fittings until I discovered the great threads about soldering fittings into the pot. Thanks!!!!

These pull through fittings are the best. I am going back and replacing the weldless fittings now. Never did like the "soft" fell of the weldless.

20160114_173426a.jpg

How difficult is it to compress these onto a HERMs coil. Seems like the bottom one ma be difficult, as it's essentially welded.

I'm wondering ease of install compared to your weldless compression bulkheads.

I just built a customer a hot liquor tank with a coil using these fittings and it wasn't too difficult. I had 2" of space between the coil and the wall of the pot and it was enough to get an adjustable wrench in there. It helps that the compression fitting is so compact and tight to the wall. I did use nylon ferrules so it didn't take a bunch of torque to seal it and make it snug. If you were to go with stainless ferrules, you would need to swage them to the coil outside of the pot using a regular NPT compression fitting first.

I just built a customer a hot liquor tank with a coil using these fittings and it wasn't too difficult. I had 2" of space between the coil and the wall of the pot and it was enough to get an adjustable wrench in there. It helps that the compression fitting is so compact and tight to the wall. I did use nylon ferrules so it didn't take a bunch of torque to seal it and make it snug. If you were to go with stainless ferrules, you would need to swage them to the coil outside of the pot using a regular NPT compression fitting first.

Thanks, I think I get it now. I was thinking you couldn't unscrew the fitting once swaged(with metal ferrules). So you can? Or do you mean solder the fitting in after you swage them?

Swaging with stainless ferrules basically locks the thin ferrule onto the tubing. The nut then becomes captured and can't be slid off. However, you can detach and reattach the tubing into the fitting over and over again at that point. The swaging process takes a lot of torque and there's no way you'd be able to get it down inside the pot. I would solder both pull through fittings in first, then use a separate compression fitting locked into a bench vise to set/swage the ferrule onto each of the coil leads. After you're done, the coil leads will each have a nut and narrow swaged ring on them. You'll be left with an extra compression fitting that is no longer needed.

I had al my keggles fitted with your weldless bulkheads and now finally switching them over to these silver soldered bulkheads. Any tips on how I could also get the sightglasses put onto silver soldered bulkheads? https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/lts.htm

I took a grinder to the fitting and cut the threads off. I then pulled the fitting into the kettle vise out of the kettle. Two things to watch. First make the hole just a little bigger. With no threads you need that little extra wiggle room to get it in strait. Second. Make sure you don't pull it much. You want it just flush with the outside. Pull it to much and won't look right.

Back