Late addition and boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I've been using the late addition method, but have problems with continuous boil overs after I add the last malt extract. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Good day everyone. I've been using the late addition method, but have problems with continuous boil overs after I add the last malt extract. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Use a bigger pot? :D

You could try a few drops of fermcap-S to help control boilovers. Or turn down the heat until it stops foaming up (that might be a while!). Or add the extract at flame out, so boil overs won't happen.

I do 2.5G in a 5G ss stock pot. I add 1.5lbs of DME to it to do my hop additions. It doesn't foam up that much. The only time it foams like that is when we steep grains 1st,then add the DME(s). It usually foams about 3 minutes before dissipating. But the bigger pot def helps. You just have to stir like mad to keep it down for that 3 minutes.

Back