Johnson Controller on the fridge...freezer temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
If I were to put a Johnson controller on my Side by side beer fridge, what would it do to the freezer temps? My hope is that it will stop being a freezer and hold the temps the fridge does.

Anyone know?

thanks,
jm

cut some vents between the fridge n freezer, add a couple fans. one facing each way would help a ton.

OR if you're super ninja, add a second temp controller and control the freezer separate from the fridge using those same fans ;)

I like the ideas about the dual fans but, if you have to purchase a fridge or freezer anyway wouldn't it be better to buy an upright freezer? I'm in the market for one currently and I am glad that you brought up this point.

kmk, his side by side could do lager and ale at the same time... an upright freezer is one or the other.

and he didn't say buy a fridge, i have a feeling he already has a line on a side by side.

kmk, his side by side could do lager and ale at the same time... an upright freezer is one or the other.

and he didn't say buy a fridge, i have a feeling he already has a line on a side by side.

Exactly, I turned an old side by side of mine into a beer fridge. I am wondering if I add a Johnson controller to it will the temps in the freezer also be controlled by the controller?

almost all fridges work on a 2 stage system but only actively cool on 1. in a typical top/bottom, the freezer has the cooling coils. the fridge temp is actually just controlled by a damper that lets cold air sink into the fridge portion.

on a side by side, it's a fan or damper system to make this same thing happen. the freezer side has active cooling, the fridge part just gets cooled from the freezer side.

so if you only have 1 temp controller and don't want to punch holes in the whole thing, you should ferment in the freezer side, as it should be more energy efficient.

almost all fridges work on a 2 stage system but only actively cool on 1. in a typical top/bottom, the freezer has the cooling coils. the fridge temp is actually just controlled by a damper that lets cold air sink into the fridge portion.

on a side by side, it's a fan or damper system to make this same thing happen. the freezer side has active cooling, the fridge part just gets cooled from the freezer side.

so if you only have 1 temp controller and don't want to punch holes in the whole thing, you should ferment in the freezer side, as it should be more energy efficient.

So if I were to put a Johnson Controller it would control the Freezer side of the Unit and in turn as long as I adjust the fridge side thermostat it would be at a similar temp?

I apologize for the Noob questions, but this is new to me and I am just trying to figure out a way to get maximum use out of this unit. At the moment, it is a kegerator on the fridge side with picnic taps and I store bottles as well at normal fridge temps (mid 30's). And the freezer is mostly used for storage of hops and misc items.

What I really would like to do is allow myself utilize both sides of the unit as a fridge and I was hoping that by adding the Johnson controller, I'd be able to increase freezer temps to fridge levels and still be able to use the fridge side as it is currently being used.

OK, idea (this is dependent on the johnson controlling the freezer temps)...If I can get the freezer side to fridge temps and then add some more ventilation between the 2 sides would that help to keep everything in a similar temps range?

Essentially, by increasing the freezer temps, that should affect the fridge temps as weel. So to offset that I could (I guess) cut a couple holes in the divider wall to allow more flow from the freezer to the fridge?

cut 2 holes in the center divider. upper hole has a fan blowing air into the fridge from the freezer. the bottom fan blows air from the fridge into the freezer. this added circulation will keep the 2 at basically the same temperature. then put the temp probe in the fridge side.

or just cut the center divider out altogether. :)

or just cut the center divider out altogether. :)

Have you seen anyone do this? If so what did they do for shelving and stability.....if losing the center divider added any.

I'd imagine a makeshift shelf out of wood or some other material would suffice...then again I'm no engineer.

i have a buddy that did it and replaced the shelves with iron pipe frames and wood top. lowes cut the black pipe to spec for free so he just screwed everything together and added 2 shelves.

I might end up doing that when i get home. What did he cut it out with?? An axe???

he started VERY CAREFULLY from one side with a dremel and pulled the sheeting away to ensure there were no refrigerant lines running behind that wall. once he was sure he cut it all away with a jig saw i believe.

don't just start hacking at things, you may hit something valuable and make a nice, big paperweight.

Back