Kegged too soon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What was I thinking?! It is obvious I wasn't. :confused:

We are leaving for vacation tomorrow and for some reason I had it in my head to keg a 2 week old porter b/4 we left. I did that yesterday. I purged and charged the keg @15lb then put it in the keezer.

This morning I woke up and realized it probably should have stayed in the primary or been racked to a secondary for at least another couple of weeks.

Would purging the pressure and bringing the keg back to room temperature allow it to condition in the keg or I have I stopped that process from happening now?

Carbonation doesn't effect aging or conditioning. leaving it kegged and carbed won't hurt anything but you're going to have some extra sediment on the bottom of your keg. The first pint you draw should clear this out, though. Enjoy your vacation and know you'll have a porter ready and waiting for you when you get back.

It will likely be just fine but conditioning seems to be slower under refrigeration. You still may have to wait 4 more weeks for the beer to be at it's best.

I am assuming that you are force carbing your kegs?

I would leave it at 15psi, off of the gas connection and put it in a 70-ish degree room to sit and condition. I guess you can leave it in the keggorator and let it cold condition, but that will just take longer and leave you with the itch to just try a little bit because it is cold and right there on tap....

Thanks for the information and piece of mind!

My original plan was to leave at 15lb for 3 weeks anyway to let it carbonate a little slowly. I keep my keezer at 42F. You just prompted me to look up CO2 volume for the style and it looks like porters should be at 1.7 - 2.3. At 42F I should drop the pressure to 7.5lb to achieve a volume of 2.0

Thanks again!!

Back