Brass Garden hose QD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Brass Garden hose QD. I was wanting to use them on my brewery that im putting together. There is a arrow for the flow on the female end of the QD's. I was wondering if I don't hook the hoses up to follow the flow arrows what will happen?

If I follow that flow it will force me to buy a ton of adapters and be a RPITA to hook up.

I wanted to put all the male ends on all my equipment and have the females on my hoses. This however will go against the arrows on the fittings.

I have never used them so I don't know.

I would imagine if the flow direction didn't matter they wouldn't have put arrows on them. Why it matter I don't know, unless the flow the wrong way will push the QD apart.

Maybe, test it and find out.

My guess would be that flow is more important for when you're disconnecting than connected. The valves in the disconnects may need pressure to seat. If they are used with flow going the wrong direction you may have liquid coming out when you break connections.

I don't think the gaskets in those are rated for the temps you might expose them to. Heat some water to boiling and put it in a mug, drop the fitting in and let it sit until the water is cool enough to drink. Note any weird flavors and inspect the gasket.

I use those brass disconects on my rig with no problem at all. and yes if you hook them up agaist the flow you just end up with a tablespoon or so of wort on the floor. not a big deal to me. but they have held up for a ton of batches.

are these QDs that don't allow flow when disconnected? Is the wort that's coming out what was in the male portion connected to say a ball-valve?

Where would I get silicone O-rings?

I'm guessing I cannot just get them at the local Home Depot

I tried to order from McMaster and Carr and they would not accept my order because im from Canada and they said that they only deal with long time customers because of the customs or something.

I was trying to get the same disconnects that Bobbym has.

You may decide to remove the inner check valve. They really limit the flow through the QD. Check before you do this though, because it may need that inner piece for the male side to seat properly.

There's got to be a supplier that would sell in Canada somewhere. Is there a Mcmaster equilelent up there?

We have a place called princess Auto here that has a lot of stuff but all they sell is your standard Garden hose disconnects and Hydraulic ones that have small holes in the middle of the disconnect like a filter or something.

Were you able to find suitable disconnects this side of the 49th? Just wondering before I place my McMaster order, rather not have to cross the border if I don't have to.

Well If you go do a search on Power Washer suppliers in your area they seem to be alot cheaper and they use regular O rings which is a plus because they are good to 250 degrees and are easy to replace.

That's the route I'm going.

Back