Drinking half brewed wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Statigar

Reaction score
I'm making some watermelon wine. It's been brewing for about 8 days, the bubbling slowed to almost nothing yesterday, so i was gonna move it into a 5 gallon glass jug, but I've got an extra gallon that won't fit. Is it safe to drink it? i didn't use anything unusual in the brewing, just campden.

I'd leave it where it is for another while, just to be sure it's done and to help it clear abit... Most wines take longer than beers to ferment and I've heard racking too early can cause stuck fermentations...

Never made watermelon wine before though...

No, of course it's not toxic!!!! It'll be a little yeasty, but sure, you can drink it. What I would do though, is put it in a pitcher and stick it in the fridge, so that most of the yeast and stuff will fall to the bottom, and you can pour it without all that extra stuff.

Now, I wouldn't recommend drinking it yet- it'll be much better later on! You can use a sanitized glass jug (Carlo Rossi wine comes in the perfect size!) and buy a #6 stopper and an airlock and let it finish up. But it sounds like you're bent on drinking it now, so bottoms up!

Federweisser (feather white) is normally made from grapes and I don't think Zwiebelkuchen (onion pie) goes with watermelon, but drinking wine that is still fermenting is part of the harvest celebration in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. It's even sold in lightly sealed bottles, because it continues to ferment & would probably explode if corked.

put extra gallon in a 1 gallon jug or even a soda bottle with its own airlock. That way when you rack again you have something to top off with.

Or just drink it. Its not going to hurt........

Back