Contamination??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voleceq

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is definitely not was I had hoped my first post would be about. Oh well. I racked my Quad Trappist Ale (kit from AHS) to secondary 4 days ago. I've been checking on it daily and everything appeared fine until today. I can't tell if this is contamination or not. Everything smells fine, but the small chunks have me a bit concerned. I cleaned everything beforehand and sanitized with iodophor. The carboy is a PITA to clean but I thought I got everything. It has only been used twice before this brew (2x Apfelwein). Anyways... what do you guys think? I'm hoping that all this worry is nothing, but I figured I'd let you guys have a peek. Here is a link to some pics (yes, I realize that the outside of my carboy is not perfectly clean).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23373415@N08/2229638311/in/photostream/

Welcome to HBT! Sorry about your wallet.

Everybody starts with a nice dose of paranoia. I wouldn't worry about those chunks. I've had the same, and it's just flocculant yeast that for whatever reason chooses to float.

That's an ambitious beer to start with! What yeast did you use? Wyeast 3522 and WLP530 are the only Belgian yeasts I can find that are high-flocculating; or maybe it's a different yeast imitating.

It's good to have you with us. And your beer will be fine - RDWHAHB!

I would say just little chunks of yeasties and not to worry, if it smells good and tastes good, it is good :mug:

Thanks for the quick response guys.

That's an ambitious beer to start with! What yeast did you use? Wyeast 3522 and WLP530 are the only Belgian yeasts I can find that are high-flocculating; or maybe it's a different yeast imitating.

It actually isn't my first homebrew. It's my third (plus 2x Apfelwein). AHS directions are great and make the brewing a piece of cake. I used Wyeast 3787 which should have medium-high flocculation according to their site, so hopefully that is it. Thanks for the help!

Ah. It might have been with 3787 that I've seen that before. It's my favourite Belgian yeast.

Back