Is $297 a good price for a kenmore 8.8?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamc

Reaction score
That doesn't seem too bad, especially if it includes free delivery (though those freezers one person can move without a ton of trouble the delivery is just much easier). I paid about $240 for a 7.7 I think it is GE delivered from Home Depot.

If you want to save money check out Craigslist. Of course it will be used but sometimes good deals pop up on there. In my searches around here people typically wanted at least still half the cost of new, plus then I have to pick it up get it home somehow etc so it didn't quite work out for me that way.

I bought my Kenmore 8.8 in June of this year for $268, that's the lowest I have ever seen them. Just figure out if waiting for a sale that might not happen again is worth $29. Mine is used as a ferm chamber, it holds 2-6.5gal buckets and a mr beer keg on the hump, holds temp very well in my garage (110 degree Florida summers).

image-2333179991.jpg

Great freezer.

image-3133703568.jpg

Wow nice, makes me wish I'd have gone for the Kenmore instead of the GE, that bit of extra cuft would be very handy. Hm I could just get another, I really need two separate ones anyway for my projects.

Yeah, I actually went in for a Kenmore 7.2, but the 8.8 was a couple of dollars cheaper. This was during their big summer appliance sale.

craigslist or find a used appliance store locally. I picked up a fridge for $150 that i can put 8 kegs in. Good deals are out there just takes time searching for them

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked for craigslist freezers, but decided to go new. This project is a treat for me. Plus I rarely found black freezers in decent shape. This guarantees a good start to a long overdue project.

Found out the special price is only for this weekend. Going to buy today!

I've been lurking for a while, checking out other keezers and getting the best ideas. After I order this I am going to order the kegging supplies and pick up the wood.

Going with collar attached to lid. And i think i want to mount the regulators "under" the lid. Really looking forward to making this thing.

I would ask for advice or lessons learned, but it seems almost every question that CAN be asked has been. Still though, ideas welcome. I am open to changing the design.

Thanks again and thanks everyone for all your great examples!

With this Kenmore, are there any problems disabling the temperature alarm when it gets above 23F?

There is an on off switch on the back of the lid. It's connected by the same wiring harness that powers the light. If you do a 6" or larger collar, the wire will have to be extended. It is not internal, just hangs off the back.

The one i am looking at has a switch on the back too. I will need to extend the wires.

Btw, I went to Sears and the increased the price back to $330. Back to waiting. I may end up waiting til black friday.

Are there sales on kegging stuff during black Friday?

For those interested, the kenmore 8.8 is under $290 at sears today and tomorrow. Just ordered mine tonight

Oh that sounds interesting ... wonder if there's any good coupon codes lurking on the interwebs to drop that down even further. I'd imagine the 5OFF50 code still works that's been around for years, maybe there's like a 10% coupon on appliances or something out there, that would be sweet.

Does anyone know if this will be able to hold a 1/4 Keg? What are the interior dimensions of this bad boy?

Another update....

Sears has these for $261 right now. Just called and had them price adjust my sale. Love saving yet another $30!!!

Ho-li-chit! They also have the 7.2 cuft for $176 right now! That is a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit I was planning on getting smashed tonight, I KNOW I'm going to end up drunk ordering one of those.

Ohh no now I'm also browsing the tool closeouts ...

I also bought the Kenmore 8.8 tonight for $233 + tax. Can't wait to start my keezer project!

Adams, try using the promo code "PLAN25" and that should get you another $25 off.

I wish i could. I bought it a week ago and had them adjust the price to the latest and greatest

This deal was too good to pass up. Just got me one, too at about $250 including tax. I had thought I would wait to see something on CL, but the fact is they rarely show up and when they do they're a pos upright freezer some hippie has used to store mushrooms and sprouting grains in for 15 years and wants $200 for anyways.

Ha! Grimstuff, you are so right. Thats why i went with a new one. nothing growing inside. Besides, the black ones are very hard to find, even new ones. Well I picked mine up today, so the project begins. I have a million ideas, all stolen from the guys on this site. And other sites too. I will post pics as I go along. Home brewing rocks! I am so hooked.....

Back