when to add dextrose if part of grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_stout

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for dextrose as part of the grain bill (i know its not technically grain but whatever) when and how do you add it? Just add it to your grain in mash tun? Add to wort before boiling? TIA

You can add this type, or any other type of sugar towards the end of the boil, say the last 15 minutes. All you need is for it to dissolve in mix in.

Ihave never used dextrose in a recipe; but honey is added at flame out. the sugar is just to boost ABV, and can add a bite to your brew if over used. I would use DME before dextrose if that is what your aiming for.:D cheers

Ihave never used dextrose in a recipe; but honey is added at flame out. the sugar is just to boost ABV, and can add a bite to your brew if over used. I would use DME before dextrose if that is what your aiming for.:D cheers

Id be careful about using DME if the recipe asks for corn sugar. Corn sugar offers no unfermentables while adding alcohol and helping to dry the beer out. DME will add some unfermentables as most are made with some sort of dextrine malt (Briess uses carapils) and will add mouthfeel and body while boosting alcohol.

It's all in what you are after finished product wise IMO. The choice between dextrose and DME in my AG IIPA ain't no choice at all.... Dextrose for sure.

Back