gravity points for clover honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I was 1/2 pound short on a PM recipe, so I substituted 2 cups of honey.

I was totally shooting from the hip, but I figured it would compensate.

Did I overdo it ?

This is an ale which calls for 2 lbs of pale malt, 8 oz of crystal and 3.5 lbs of amber dry extract.

OG = 1044
FG = 1010

Comments appreciated, as I have heard that honey will extend the length of a fermentation

You didn't mention what you were a half pound short of, but I assume you have a 3 pound bag of DME and needed 3.5 pounds. DME is 1.046 gravity for a pound per gallon and honey is around 1.042. Two cups of honey weighs 1.5 pounds, so adding .013 or so to a 5 gallon batch compared to the .005 that you lost from the missing .5 pounds of DME. Looks like a little boost, but no big deal.

I have used honey before and did not notice a longer fermentation, but I used only half your amount.

my fermentation on my honey rye did not go as quickly as i expected, but i used over 2 lbs. it fermented out completely. i could barely taste the honey when i bottled, so i also primed with it. hopefully that will maintain some of the honey sweetness/flavor.

if you're shooting for a specific gravity, you'll be just fine. it may change the taste a bit, however, and may be a tad dryer, but probably not with that small amount of honey.

it might turn into a fantastic beer that you will want to brew over and over and over and over again ;)

Back