Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow in any event...I was totally ready to brew tomorrow and was gong to weigh out my grains and hops tonight. Just went down to my basement and realized my wife stole the scale (she's out of town). Guess I gotta wait. Ugh...

Your wife stole the scale for her trip?

Yes, crazy I know but she owns her own business and it's technically her scale (she uses it for weighing stuff for shipping purposes).

Thanks again everyone!!! I finally got everything partitioned up into more manageable bags.

Using 2 gallon Ziplock and 1 quart Ziplocks.

image-1244775340.jpg

image-3133860641.jpg

image-1408658804.jpg

Jefe, what is a plethora?

el guapo! hahah

Yeah you guys are way more organized than I am with grain. I pretty much just twist and toss the grains in the bags they came in, or the giant ziplocks, and toss them in the roller pet food bins and put a piece of tape on the bin ("C40"). then again we seem to chug through the stuff pretty quick.

I know this question is way in right field but do any of you boil your starter wort right in your flask? I'm getting into starters and it just seems easier. Any cons? Yes, CBK's pic of his flask reminded me.

Yep, boil right in the flask. No downsides to doing it this way, though if you can get some crazy boil-overs in the smaller flasks.

I know this question is way in right field but do any of you boil your starter wort right in your flask? I'm getting into starters and it just seems easier. Any cons? Yes, CBK's pic of his flask reminded me.

If I had a gas stove I would boil in the flask. Unfortunately for me (apartment) stuck with electric so boiling in the flask is not an option.

Why not electric? I have an electric flat top stove. That ok? Also, I got a 2 liter flask so I'll watch for boil overs with a starter larger than 1 liter. Hell, I'd watch for boil overs anyway. Way too messy

Why not electric? I have an electric flat top stove. That ok? Also, I got a 2 liter flask so I'll watch for boil overs with a starter larger than 1 liter. Hell, I'd watch for boil overs anyway. Way too messy

A flat top may be ok. Everything I have read on the subject says to not put a flask directly on an electric element.

I'm gonna give it a shot. I just wondered if you got wort crust on the sides of your flask and how easy it would be to clean off. Or other things that could happen

What do you use the PID for CBK?

I am in the process of building an e-brewery. I live in an apartment so my options are limited. The box in the pic is from Cidah's first build. My goal is to ultimately end up with a 2 vessel e-herms system utilizing 1 pot as a hlt/ bk and the other as a mt. Within the next week or 2 I should have all the hardware to install my element. The herms coil will also serve as an immersion chiller. By the way deoes anyone here have a 1.25" punch they would be interested in renting out? Would be willing to pay postage both ways and rental fee.

I am in the process of building an e-brewery. I live in an apartment so my options are limited. The box in the pic is from Cidah's first build. My goal is to ultimately end up with a 2 vessel e-herms system utilizing 1 pot as a hlt/ bk and the other as a mt. Within the next week or 2 I should have all the hardware to install my element. The herms coil will also serve as an immersion chiller. By the way deoes anyone here have a 1.25" punch they would be interested in renting out? Would be willing to pay postage both ways and rental fee.

If you consider a rental fee homebrew I have a GreenLee I can lend you.

I've heard that you could break the flask if its directly on the electric element (since they heat up so quickly). My buddy sits his flask ontop of a piece of metal to act as a conductor on his stovetop, so it more evenly heats up and prevents breaking. A thick bottomed pan would work too.

jeffb418 said:
I've heard that you could break the flask if its directly on the electric element (since they heat up so quickly). My buddy sits his flask ontop of a piece of metal to act as a conductor on his stovetop, so it more evenly heats up and prevents breaking. A thick bottomed pan would work too.

Good tip, thanks.

Cidah, can you remove the link to the order sheet from the first page? I keep getting requests for access from random people (who don't need to see that information). If anyone needs information from it, the link will still be active just not on this forum.

Thanks!

Cidah, can you remove the link to the order sheet from the first page? I keep getting requests for access from random people (who don't need to see that information). If anyone needs information from it, the link will still be active just not on this forum.

Thanks!
Jeff I made the links incomplete

Hey all been awhile for me. Racing is keeping me busy and getting married in 25 days. Any new orders getting ready in the next few months.

This is what I use for my starters since I have a flat glass stove-top.

I found two for @ 30$ brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NLYY5G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And yes, I have broken 2 flasks on an electric stove-top.

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffb418 said:
Think the plan is to target the fall for the next order. Most likely something like Octoberish.

Thanks, no rush here. Wouk be nice to get back into brewing! 15 days till my wedding so brewing is on the back burner!

2 weeks and im going to be doing a ton of batches when i make my way home at the end of july.. i wish i had a place to brew down here in SC.

looking for a group buy in upstate ny? anybody know of one?

Hopefully round 8 will be starting soon. I believe the coordinators for this group buy are planning on a fall buy. Can't blame Cidah for wanting to take a break after 7 back to back buys.

7 back to backs is a lot hopefully I will be able to get in on #8... anything going on like this up in Rochester cbk?

Yeah info on round 8 to come. Lots of people are super busy over the summer so it makes it very tough to coordinate. There are several key players in making the buy work, so thanks for understanding.

Right now the best estimate for the opening of the buy would be late August through September. Goal being to close the buy before the holidays start.

Will keep everyone posted.

It will be interesting to see how much NCM raises the price of grain this fall/winter, with all the issues going on with the corn/grain harvest in the US and Europe. Prob only be 2-3 cents, but still.

It will be interesting to see how much NCM raises the price of grain this fall/winter, with all the issues going on with the corn/grain harvest in the US and Europe. Prob only be 2-3 cents, but still.

yeah I am wondering that as well.

lol Hey Greg

That's a good point and from what I've been reading, prices are only going to continue to go up and up as the year goes on... so maybe we should get this one rolling sooner rather than later??

Looks like some folks are already discussing this further here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/any-idea-effects-drought-barley-345027/

Back