Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorbrews

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of edworts apfelwein that i fermented with champagne yeast. I hit the target SG/FG according to the recipe (1.066/0.998) and bottled into regular beer bottles. I added 3.6 oz of priming sugar. I shouldn't worry about bottle bombs since i hit the target FG correct? I have this weird stigma that champagne yeast + beer bottles = bombs.

Brad.

What was your batch size? If it was 3.5 gallons or more it will likely be "under" carbonated honestly. If it was 3 gallons or less there might be problems. But if you've already done it, what can you do about it other than cover them with a tarp? My advice is probably: RDWHAHB

:mug:

I bottled mine a couple weeks ago and threw in the standard 5 oz pack of priming sugar. Mine was a 5 gallon batch and although they're still conditioning, so far so good. I put a few in the fridge earlier this week and will be taking them out tonight when we have some people over (Yea Veterans day!). I tried two last weekend just for fun and got a slight buzz :)

You should be fine in terms of bottle bombs and as someone already mentioned, you might be undercarbed. Don't worry though. Apfelwein tasted good even lightly carbonated.

My apfelwein turned out great and i undercarbed it. after a few weeks it gets really dry and over-carbed but then it calms back down. have done a few batches of it and it is a main-stay for the mother-in-law

Back