Lazy Man's Trellis Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
So I have purchased a couple of rhizomes and, being that I am over in China, I have instructed my mother-in-law (who likes to garden) and my best friend to grow them for me. We have come up with an seemingly easy, although not perfect trellis setup and I would like to some feedback on it.
We will (ok, they will) be attaching large eye hooks to the eve under the roof and running the twine that the vines will grow on, through the eye hook - the twine will be staked in the front and there will be 20 or so feet of extra twine on the "backside" of the eye hook, which wil be staked or cleated as well. Idea being, as the vines grow and start to reach the eye hook, they can release some of the extra twine and drop the vine - sorta like a conveyer belt so the hops bunch up near the bottom and the top of the vine will continue to have room to grow.
I know this is not ideal, but this is the first attempt at growing hops and we want to work with a semi-easily built trellis system.
Besides the growth issue drawbacks, are there any issues with using this type of setup? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't want the vines sitting on the ground. Once they reach the top of the twine, I'd leave it. If the vines are sitting on the ground, they are likely to develop fungus/pest issues. I'd just let it hit the top of the eve and leave it at that.

Bruin- fair enough, perhaps we can sort out a way to still bunch the vine up near the bottom, but with a good foot above the ground? I am suspecting that the eye hook will be about 10 feet off the ground, so I want them to have as much room as possible to grow with this setup. Thanks for the advice.

+1 on not lowering as they grow. besides the xtra risk of fungus and pests, as you get slack in the bine it is a greater chance of being caught by the wind and broken.

Ok. Would it be advisable to have them grow vertically 10 feet and then having them grow horizontally instead of lowering them as they grow?

yes, horizontally is fine. Or, if you can get them to continue growing up the roof that's be fine also. I wish I had eves to connect to, but all my south and west facing sun is in my backyard and not against my house.

I read about this system and tried it last year. I didn't like it.
What happens is the lowered hop begins to grow lateral climbers as if the tip was cut off. So my hops got wide in the middle as they tried to reclimb up the rope. And they did.
So instead of having a bine that was "bushy down" I had "bushy up". It was a tangled mess. And the premise that I could trick the hop into thinking it was tall didn't happen.
Based on the one year I did it I do not plan to repeat it. Better to let them climb up clean and get "bushy down".

Finally consider these are first years and some plants might not get that tall at all (If they are weak).

Latest posts

Back