Auber SYL-2352 PID issue: Temp way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm testing my control box connections today and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why my one PID isn't reading right.

Background:
Basic theelectricbrewery.com clone
Three PID's using RTD probes wired to XLR receptacles

Facts:
PIDs are wired identical (345 on pid to the 3 connections on the XLR)
Using the same probe & cable to test each one
PIDs are all set to Sn21
Probe is in ice water for this test

Test:
Boil PID
Probe says 37-40* (in the realm, but don't have a spare term to check)
Mash PID
Probe says -318* and flashes (orAL)
HL PID
Probe says 37-40* (same as Boil...so if its off its off universally)

First thing I did was check to make sure all the connection were the same between the three and they are.

Now before I start switching the 3-4-5 connections does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

-Jay

check the connections on the mash PID, I had mine flashing orAL last evening when I powered it up with the RTD disconnected

milldoggy:

Its the same wire from the XLR to the probe...i've been testing them one at at a time

twardnw:

All the connections seem fine

What is the downside to randomly changing the RTD connections on the PID? Can it blowout the probe or something?

seem fine or test fine? I wouldn't trust them unless you can have continuity from end-to-end.

Don't know about switching out the probes while powered on, I would be very hesitant to do that.

Make sure you have the PID set to use an RTD input, I think they default to a k thermocouple. Also you may have 2 of the three wires swapped. 2 wires should show 0 resistance and the third wire should show around 100 ohms or more between it and the other 2 wires. Make sure you have them landed in the right order on the PID.

Looking at the diagram on mine, the 2 wires that show 0 resistance go to terminals 3 and 4, the third wire goes to 5.

Make sure you have the PID set to use an RTD input, I think they default to a k thermocouple. Also you may have 2 of the three wires swapped. 2 wires should show 0 resistance and the third wire should show around 100 ohms or more between it and the other 2 wires. Make sure you have them landed in the right order on the PID.

Looking at the diagram on mine, the 2 wires that show 0 resistance go to terminals 3 and 4, the third wire goes to 5.

I'll bet this is it. I had the same problem initially.

I had to rewire the three on the PID until it finally showed a true temp.

Very frustrating when you have three of them next to each other all wired the same and one needs to be wired differently.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm betting that the difference is in the way you connected the wires to the XLR connectors. Just swapping 2 wires when you solder them in place could do it. Especially when you are looking at opposite rotation when looking at the wire side of the plug and receptacle.

Just thinking out loud...

THat's what I thought too.

Only issue is the 3 XLR's are in a row as well all the same orientation and each using the same colored wires (R-K-W in my case).

It was just the middle one that needed to be different...(which oddly is the only one that has no SSR attached to it as it is mainly there for a temp readout / alarm purpose).

The other thing of note is on the BK and HLT PIDs have no issue being disconnected and reconnected to the probe while powered up.
They show the orAL error when unplugged but switch back after it is reconnected.
The MLT PID will not "recover" from being unplugged while powered up.

Get me wondering if maybe that PID might be a little "short-bus special"...not really a big concern as its impact on the system is low.

Cheers!
-Jay

JayInJersey, I'd call Auber Instruments and talk out the issue with the owner. If something is wrong with the unit, he will recognise it and replace it for you. If it is a setup parameter, he can guide you as well. He is a very reputable business man and it is well worth a call.

P-J

Back