Upright Freezer --> Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I scored an upright freezer this past weekend, and plugged it in. Since I took out the shelves, I had to place my ice cube tray on the floor. The next morning, I had ice cubes, but the top of the freezer was warm. I decided to take it apart to see if I could figure out why. After taking all the covers and shields off, I plugged it in, and discovered the evaporator fan wasn't blowing. The fan is supposed to blow across the evaporator coils, up behind a false wall, and into the top and sides of the freezer. The motor is huge, but I guess when this thing was made, it was state of the art.

Here's my idea, and I want your feedback and input. I'm thinking of getting a large computer fan to replace the bad one, and have it running all the time. Next, I'll wire in a dual thermostat. Looking at the wiring diagram, it has a heater for the defroster, so I'm thinking of using that circuit to put a heater in for winter. This thing is gonna be in the garage, so it gets down to just above freezing in the winter, and into the 90's during the summer.

So what I'd like to know is, what would be the best temp controller be for this job? I want one that can either be switched from cool to heat, or one that I can set both the upper temp range and lower temp range. The latter would be my choice, but I can do the former as well.

I like the Johnson A419 a lot, but it's single stage and you must take the cover off and move a jumper in order to switch from heating to cooling. No big dea as it takes about two minutes to do. You can get by just fine without dual range controller. You will be heating or cooling and there will also be stretches where you won't need to do either. Dual range is a nice feature, but not at all a necessity IMO.

One vote for the ranco....you can switch from heating to cooling without switching the jumper and if you look around you can find one cheap.

Back