New Castle Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DilvishTheDamned

Reaction score
I've been reading through Beer Captured, and it has a New Castle clone. I LOVE newky so the idea of cloning it is great. The only problem I have is the description given by the authors. They claim that NC is a blended beer, being the product of a heavy beer, which is not available, and a light beer, sold as New Castle Amber.

Needless to say their recipe does NOT have you blending beers.

How can this be a faithful clone of the original if it does not have you create both beers, and then blend them? Am I getting way to caught up in things? I'm fine with making a Brown Ale, I love them, but when you're attempting to do a clone, it seems like you should try to stay as true to form as possible.

There is a recipe in the BYO mag that has you brewing two beers and then blending them. I've never tried it though, too much work for Newkie.

I think that you're correct in that it won't taste quite the same, some of the aged character of the old ale won't come through.

Pardon my ignorance, but do people really commonly refer to this beer as "newky?" I ask because It appears twice in this thread, and I've never heard it before.

Back