failed primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burning2nd

Reaction score
I dont think the yeast was ready... this was my first time and i didnt let the yeast activate correctly prior to the attempt..

is there a way to recover this wart, or is this a goner.

its not ok to add more yeast leter right?

next time i got it for sure

We'd probably need more information to give you an accurate answer. What process did you use, and what did/didn't you see that makes you feel the yeast didn't activate correctly?

Beyond that, if it just never seemed to ferment and a hydrometer reading backs it up, I think it's fair game to add more of the same kind of yeast to your fermenter. Just be mindful of sanitation.

ok.. step by step

the oktberfest lager,
steep'd the grain, 155degree off the burner added extract, desolved, back to burner rolling boil--> hops one hour, then arroma hops for 15min, cooled, in to the primary bucket, airated sprinkeld the yeast on top

i didnt let the yeast get warm for a very long time... i should havewhen i got the yeast on the day b4 christmas left tn in the liveing room for a day or 2... but insted i let it down stairs in the cold till the day of the brew.... (the saterday after christmas)

so i brewd on saterday night, and then last night i poured it in to the car boy,

i think i rushed it a little... i didnt take a hydrometer reading cause i didnt have the peice of equipment i wanted to use with it...

Without a hydrometer reading, how do you know it failed?

BTW, poured into the carboy? Please tell me you mean that you carefully racked it, not actually poured it.

Without a hydrometer reading, how do you know it failed?

BTW, poured into the carboy? Please tell me you mean that you carefully racked it, not actually poured it.

Why not pour? It needs to be aerated anyway, this is PRE fermentation, no worries about oxidation.

Do you know what temp you pitched your yeast at?

Why not pour? It needs to be aerated anyway, this is PRE fermentation, no worries about oxidation.

Do you know what temp you pitched your yeast at?

I thought that, too, at first, but then I noticed he earlier had mentioned putting it into the "primary bucket" and then "pouring into the carboy yesterday."

If his fermentation really did fail, it's pre fermentation. He was talking about transferring to secondary, though. More likely than not, this is post fermentation.

Oh good call, I must have skimmed a little while reading. Hmm, I think the OP needs to be a little more detailed (i.e. verbose) about what exactly went on with a clear time line (dates would be helpful).

sorry racked meaning??? poured outta the ss kettle in to the bucket... then 4 days later, poured thur a funnel in to a carboy

i thought the racking cane was for removeing from the carboy in to the bottleing bucket?

sorry racked meaning??? poured outta the ss kettle in to the bucket... then 4 days later, poured thur a funnel in to a carboy

i thought the racking cane was for removeing from the carboy in to the bottleing bucket?

Racking means you use a plastic, hollow cane to carefully transfer your beer from vessel to vessel to avoid getting oxygen into your fermented beer. This will cause a terrible off flavour cause by oxidation.

Yeah the only time it is ok to pour is from the pot into the primary. Now on to the failed fermentation. My question is how long did you leave it in the bucket before you put it into the carboy?

i left it in the bucket for 4 days... and i could take a reading but i have nothing to safely to suck it up with i could syphne some out

ill figure out a way to safely get a reading right now... the temp when i added the yeast was about 70degree

It is easy to get real eager with your first batch and go to fast. I know I did. But 4 days is probably a bit short for going to the secondary. The good news is that if it wasnt done fermenting then that pour you did into the carboy probably didnt hurt anything.

so it just needs to stay in the carboy a little longer then? good news is that it doesnt taste that bad... little bit on the hoppy side,

Picture-2.jpg

i cleaned everything and sanitized everything b4 and after use.

..... This will cause a terrible off flavour cause by oxidation.

Depends on your point of view. He may like the taste of wet cardboard, you never know.
To the OP, WHACK!!! That was your virtual smack on the back of the hand so you will remember not to do that again.

next time.... (and im sorry for rushing.. have salt water reef tanks i know its not ok to rush) but next time..

i want to airate it a little better... im gonna prep my yeast in a starter... and take a reading prior to sealing the bucket... then ill return in a weeks time to check again, and again a few days after that...

then i want to siphon out the liquid in the bucket (after fermention) with out disurbing it to much in to the carboy... for it to clear up.. then after its cleared up a little or to my likeing? i primeing suger and bottle...

so whats the point of the funnel with strainer?

You maybe OK, it looks liek your fermentation hasn't really started going all out yet, so the extra O2 might get chewed up by the yeast and it'll not result in off flavours...

Rule of thumb is to never move to a secondary until fermentation is complete and verified by use of hydrometer. There shouldn't actually be any fermentation in your secondary, it's really just a conditioning tank.

so whats the point of the funnel with strainer?

Depends on what works best for you. Some use the funnel and strainer to keep junk out of the FIRST fermentation vessel (carboy or bucket) and it might help with aeration. You won't use it if you rack to a second vessel. As has already been mentioned, that needs to move without introducing any more air.

Welcome to Brewing!

I noticed you're brewing a lager and you mention that when you added the yeast it was 70 degrees. If you used a standard lager yeast, I'm thinking you would want to be at lower temperatures. However, I've also heard of using yeasts that allow you to ferment lagers at ale temperatures. So I'm curious as to what yeast you used.

Back