Specialty IPA: Black IPA Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the second time I have brewed this recipe and this time I made a couple of changes. I replaced a portion of the base malt with 1kg sucrose to lighten the body a touch and fermented it with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity to make my first Belgio Black IPA. The best beer I have ever made!!! Perfect balance and drinkability for such a hefty brew. Thanks to the OP for the recipe.

From reading the posts it seems like it can be a quick-turnaround beer, but a couple months of bottle conditioning do it well. My impatience means I'll be making a comparison (can't wait three months to try this).

has anyone done a quick turnaround w/ this? like 3-5 weeks? have a party in 3 weeks and then another around xmas and wondering if this would be close to go for either (i can force carb).

chriscam said:
has anyone done a quick turnaround w/ this? like 3-5 weeks? have a party in 3 weeks and then another around xmas and wondering if this would be close to go for either (i can force carb).
I'd go with Christmas.

If you force-carb you could have this done for Christmas, no problem.
But three weeks is a little tight - It can be done, depending on your force-carb schedule.

The wife and I brewed this one up on Friday as our first IPA. Had an OG of 1.085, even with BIAB and no extra grain, and we had an extra oz of cascade taking up space in the freezer so we threw it in as a FWH. We're hoping this is our winning entry in a homebrew competition with friends on Jan 4th. It's happily bubbling away at 65°, and we will dry hop in about 2 weeks, which will leave 3 weeks to condition and carb in the bottle before the competition. I'm super excited about this one.

Thanks for the awesome recipe, brrman, and greetings from a fellow Indy resident! :mug:

Update on the Competition?
I love this recipe - I cut the Magnum by one ounce and love love love it.
Gonna be using Belgium Yeast next round.

I'll be brewing this again tomorrow using Wyeast 1450 and Zythos instead of Amarillo (just because I have a pound of it). This is still my favorite beer that I brew!

I just finished brewing an IPA with Wyeast 1056. Would that yeast work well with this recipe?

Id like to try using the yeast cake from that batch in a slightly heavier beer once that batch finishes in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

This is the second time I have brewed this recipe and this time I made a couple of changes. I replaced a portion of the base malt with 1kg sucrose to lighten the body a touch and fermented it with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity to make my first Belgio Black IPA. The best beer I have ever made!!! Perfect balance and drinkability for such a hefty brew. Thanks to the OP for the recipe.

Thats cool!

I just finished brewing an IPA with Wyeast 1056. Would that yeast work well with this recipe?

Id like to try using the yeast cake from that batch in a slightly heavier beer once that batch finishes in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

WY1056 would be just fine here. yup

Update on the Competition?
I love this recipe - I cut the Magnum by one ounce and love love love it.
Gonna be using Belgium Yeast next round.

Sorry, started a new job and been working too dang much. This beer is absolutely amazing! Unfortunately this one didn't place but our bourbon barrel porter got 2nd. It wasn't a serious competition, just an excuse to get together with friends we hadn't seen in awhile and drink each other's brews. Good times were had by all.

We've handed out quite a few samplers and it always gets rave reviews. I look forward to brewing this one again, but I want to try a hop stand to up the flavor and aroma. I also should have left well enough alone with the FWH. It didn't need anymore bittering.

LOL, its my recipe and i think some of you guys have brewed this more than me. I really need to get back on the horse and brew up some beers...

Brewed this on Saturday. All that grain would barely fit in my mash tun. Looks good, and was bubbling like a mofo last night!

I did notice that I had the LHBS mill and mix everything together. SO I didn't get to add the Carafala in the last 10 minutes. Hope everything is okay.

Still trying to decide whether to keg or bottle. I haven't bottled in a while, but it seems like a good candiate

I bought my ingredients for this today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is everyone using 3 oz at 60 min? That seems like a ton for a bittering hop.

You need the 3 oz because this beer is malt bomb. So you need the bitterness to balance that out. Remember this is an Imperial IPA.

You need the 3 oz because this beer is malt bomb. So you need the bitterness to balance that out. Remember this is an Imperial IPA.

Thanks. First imperial I've made. Brewed it Monday. It's currently bubbling away. I'll post when it's done. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this on Saturday. All that grain would barely fit in my mash tun. Looks good, and was bubbling like a mofo last night!

I did notice that I had the LHBS mill and mix everything together. SO I didn't get to add the Carafala in the last 10 minutes. Hope everything is okay.

Still trying to decide whether to keg or bottle. I haven't bottled in a while, but it seems like a good candiate

Starting to drink this now. Fantastic. Perfect beer for these cooler days we're getting :mug:

Kegged mine a couple days. My hydro sample smelled and tasted great. I will post pics once it's carbed up and ready to drink.

This sounds like an amazing recipe. From the time it was originally brewed to the lack of changes, it must be. This will be on my short list of future brews.

We just brewed this beer for our 2nd all grain brew. Turned out to be right on with everything. Got it fermenting now.

I have a batch of this in the primary now. Been a while since I have brewed it so I am anxiously awaiting the chance to keg it.

Looks like an awesome recipe, I've put this on my next order!
I've converted the recipe to use some Oz made grains, as well as metric measures ;)
I really look forward to this one, thanks Bryan for posting it :tank:

was gonna brew this today but LHBS was out of magnum! I picked up some citra and was wondering if you seasoned dogs thought this would be a good replacement. Gonna brew it anyway was just curious about the feedback! Thanks :rockin:

By the way this is my first post been brewing for about year and this will be my 2nd all grain batch!!!
Cheers!

was gonna brew this today but LHBS was out of magnum! I picked up some citra and was wondering if you seasoned dogs thought this would be a good replacement. Gonna brew it anyway was just curious about the feedback! Thanks :rockin:

By the way this is my first post been brewing for about year and this will be my 2nd all grain batch!!!
Cheers!

You could essentially go with any high alpha hop for the bittering since the flavor and aroma will be boiled off in the 60 minutes. Citra would be a waste for bittering. Use something like Columbus or Warrior... or whatever high alpha you happen to have (try and have it at least 10% alpha or you might not get the bittering level needed for this beer.)

But this in to bottles and so far is the best beer I've brewed out of the 5 batches done so far. Will deffinatly brew this again

Thanks for the feedback after reading some older posts I'm wait till I get some magnum or warrior hops. I'll let ya know how it went after the holiday!

So far out of the 8 batches of all grain I have made this beer has been the favorite among my peers. I only used 2 oz of magnum and still delicious. I have only been able to try 3 of the 8 batches. Still a great ipa.

Since I had great reviews I decided to make another batch and my gravity going into the fermenter was only 1.069. The first batch I brewed I was at 1.083 but I was 1 gallon short. And added some water at the end.

I am still trying to dial my system Into beer smith and had 8 gallons at boil with. Last time I was at 6.5 gallons. The second time I think I had a gallon to much. Perhaps I would have had a better og if I didn't have the extra gallon who knows. Can't wait to see how the second batch turns out even tho it was lower

So far out of the 8 batches of all grain I have made this beer has been the favorite among my peers. I only used 2 oz of magnum and still delicious. I have only been able to try 3 of the 8 batches. Still a great ipa.

Since I had great reviews I decided to make another batch and my gravity going into the fermenter was only 1.069. The first batch I brewed I was at 1.083 but I was 1 gallon short. And added some water at the end.

I am still trying to dial my system Into beer smith and had 8 gallons at boil with. Last time I was at 6.5 gallons. The second time I think I had a gallon to much. Perhaps I would have had a better og if I didn't have the extra gallon who knows. Can't wait to see how the second batch turns out even tho it was lower

you started your boil with 8 gallons of wort? That's way too much - you miscalculated your sparge water most likely. You could have boiled that 8 gallons for a couple hours to get down to 6 gallons - that would have upped your gravity. Then you could have added the 60 min hops and started your brew boil from there.

nice! We threw a party this past Sat night with Heavenly Scourge on tap. I had a wee too much. Sunday was misery.

Just kegged this up and put it into the keezer to chill and carb. Changed the hop schedule around a bit but tried to keep the theme. Warrior bittering, sub cascade for amarillo. Brought the IBUs down just a touch into the 80-90 range. I'm not into the 100+ range yet. US-05.
OG: 1.080 FG: 1.026. A little disappointing on that FG, was hoping closer to 1.020. I also used a huge starter and tossed in some nutrient just for good measure. After I sample it I'll probably try again, perhaps lower the mash temp and/or increase time.

Back