Floccing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just pulled the towel off the carboy full of APA that I made last night and it's got some of the craziest yeast activity that I've ever seen in one of my beers. I'm not talking about the krausen... There are HUGE globs of yeast whizzing around, many the size of golf balls (one is easily bigger than a baseball, too).

I've been doing this for over 10 years, but never had this before. Cool.

I just pulled the towel off the carboy full of APA that I made last night and it's got some of the craziest yeast activity that I've ever seen in one of my beers. I'm not talking about the krausen... There are HUGE globs of yeast whizzing around, many the size of golf balls (one is easily bigger than a baseball, too).

I've been doing this for over 10 years, but never had this before. Cool.

Pictures would be really nice. What yeast strain?

I just used one of the packets of dry Safale 05 on this one.

I pulled the towel off again just now to snap some pics, but it's not nearly as interesting this morning.

I just used one of the packets of dry Safale 05 on this one.

I pulled the towel off again just now to snap some pics, but it's not nearly as interesting this morning.

I've never noticed before, but does S05 flocculate like that before falling to the bottom? That sounds really cool.

I think it's funny that all of us were hoping for pictures.

I've never noticed before, but does S05 flocculate like that before falling to the bottom? That sounds really cool.

I think it's funny that all of us were hoping for pictures.

I don't know... this is only the second time I've ever S05 and I honestly don't remember even peeking at the fermenter on other batch that I used it in.

I should have taken pics for sure.

I use S05 often- but never looked at it before/during fermentation. Now, I'll have to make a batch of something that uses S05, just so I can see it for myself. :D

Back