Cane sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazeballdadx

Reaction score
I noticed a recipe that called for 'Cane sugar' to be used for priming before bottling. Is this regular table sugar or no?

What are the benefits/problems of using this for priming?

btw, this is for an English Bitter recipe.

bazeballdadx said:
I noticed a recipe that called for 'Cane sugar' to be used for priming before bottling. Is this regular table sugar or no?

What are the benefits/problems of using this for priming?

btw, this is for an English Bitter recipe.

That is indeed table sugar. And it will work, although it does contribute "off" flavors to your beer. You can use any fermentable sugar for priming, corn sugar is the most commonly used one. You could also use honey, or molasses, or maple syrup. Or you could use malt extract if you want to keep it "all malt".

beyondthepale said:
That is indeed table sugar. And it will work, although it does contribute "off" flavors to your beer.

I'm not sure this is true. From what I understand the "cidery off flavor" of cane suger comes from usind too much in the primary fementation. I seriously doubt that using it for carbonation would have any affect on the taste when compared to corn suger. I used cane suger to carbonate the last batch I bottled (it's still conditioning), so I'll let you know if it tastes like crap in a week or two.

Thanks, I was just curious whether it was supposed to make a smoother carbonation or something... but yeah, I've heard about the potential for off flavors.

PFlint said:
I'm not sure this is true. From what I understand the "cidery off flavor" of cane suger comes from usind too much in the primary fementation. I seriously doubt that using it for carbonation would have any affect on the taste when compared to corn suger. I used cane suger to carbonate the last batch I bottled (it's still conditioning), so I'll let you know if it tastes like crap in a week or two.

You're probably right. At most it would probably be slight. But for some, that might be enough...

Back